Monday, October 20, 2008

To See and Understand the Things of God, By Rachel Rawle


Being very logically minded, I accomplish things by first reviewing the details and deciding for myself what would be the best solution. I don't commit to something until I understand exactly why I would want to: the pros and cons, the benefits and the doubts. Without knowing why I would do something, I see no reason in doing it. This mindset, for me, is a natural response when it comes to spirituality. Its hard for me to follow counsel or guidance with just my heart, I often have to have a sound understanding of my mind as well. In a spiritual aspect, understanding is very important in coming to a full knowledge of the gospel. One can have a hope, but when one gains an understanding of the principles their testimony is more dynamic and powerful. Understanding can be gained by first having a desire, by studying the words of the Lord, and by the power of the spirit.


One of the first steps in gaining understanding of the truthfulness of the gospel is by having a desire. A desire to learn, to open your mind, and to work hard to find answers that will help in sustaining your faith. Along with a desire we need to acknowledge that we alone cannot gain an understanding of the gospel but that it is through the Lord. In Psalms 119 it states, “Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.” This scripture shows that if we first gain a desire and determination, then the Lord has promised us he will offer us an understanding. This concept is also supported in Proverbs, saying, “Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.” Here it shows that we need to realize and denote that it is through God that we can know the truthfulness of the gospel. It is to him that we need to turn, to show our thanksgiving as well as plead with him for answers. Doing so with a sincere heart will result in a greater understanding.

Secondly, understanding can be gained by studying the words of the Lords and his prophets. After we have a desire to know, we need to act. Study, research, learn, and apply the principles so we can build our knowledge of the gospel. In Proverbs it says, “For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.” Here is a perfect formula for gaining a knowledge of the gospel. We need to study the scriptures and listen to the words of our latter-day prophets. In a general conference talk, Carlos H. Amado shares, “Like the prophets, they have acquired a higher understanding of the mind and will of Christ. These will help to refine our understanding and increase our spirituality.” This too illustrates the point that we need to learn of Christ and of the gospel doctrines to further our understanding and therefore our spirituality. Once we put forth an effort on our part, the Lord is willing to help us where we lack and to give us the understanding we seek.

Lastly, the power of the spirit is a very crucial way we come to a full understanding of the gospel. After one has studied the words of the Lord, the spirit will confirm in their heart the truthfulness of the words. This creates a greater and more perfect knowledge and understanding. Without the help of the spirit, we could not understand to this extent. In Doctrine and Covenants, it shows this point well when it says, “By the power of the Spirit our eyes were opened and our understandings were enlightened, so as to see and understand the things of God.” This is such a beautiful way to show that sometimes our mind cannot comprehend the things of God, but through the spirit we can come to a peaceful and comforting acceptance. The power of the spirit is a great influence and promoter of understanding the words of God. To demonstrate how the spirit works, I would like to share how I put these steps into action in my own life. I had a desire to know, to know of God and his teachings. After gaining this motivation, I began to study the scriptures and search for answers concerning the truthfulness of the gospel. As I did this, I had a hard time understanding the concept of faith. It was so hard for me to grasp such an abstract concept, and my logical mind was not helpful in gaining faith. I became frustrated and this is when the power of the spirit came into play. I had been visiting with the missionaries, and for several lessons we had been speaking about faith. I was still struggling. But one day, by random chance a different missionary came to give the lesson, and he gave an analogy that spoke right to me. I finally began to understand. I know this came by the power of the spirit, and without it I couldn't have come to the understanding that I gained that day.

Each of these steps, having a desire, studying the words of the Lord, and the power of the spirit are are essential in gaining a knowledge of the gospel. A desire to know creates a change of heart, and here one begins to understand that they cannot do it alone. When they begin to study the scriptures and the words of the prophets, one can see that it is through the Lord that they can gain knowledge. And lastly, their understanding is confirmed by the power of the spirit. Having a true understanding of the gospel is important in having a strong testimony and also helps your testimony to affect and strengthen the testimony of others.

Works Cited
-Amado, Carlos H. “Overcoming Adversity.” Ensign. Nov 1989.
-D&C 76:12
-Proverbs 2: 5
-Proverbs 2:6
-Psalms 119:73
-The Scriptures: CD-Rom Edition 1.1

11 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Rachel, good job! Logical-mindedness shows in the flow and organization of your essay. How did you use the CD-Rom of the scriptures?

erin said...

This was really interesting reading about how important it is to follow the gospel with not only your heart, but your mind as well.

Coleman said...

good job. i really liked how you made it simple yet profound. i loved how you gave the steps to it and then gave a personal example. excellent job.

Jin said...

I really appriciated your step by step guideline in understanding the gospel. Simple things but yet, which I need to focus on more. Thank you for reminding me!

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog, you write very well. I loved the example you gave in your own life, and I wish you would have given the analogy which that missionairy gave you to help you understand faith.

darajf said...

I feel you on that whole wanting to understand something kick. Oh man! Especially with finals coming up;) I most definitely agree that the spirit helps increase our understanding when our minds don't have the natural capacity. Perhaps everyone should be praying for the spirit in the testing center, ha! Thanks for passing on the valuable information;););) ha!

mormongirl5of9 said...

This was very well done. I can tell how strongly you feel about the gospel. I especially liked when you said that we wouldn't understand the Lord, but we would come to accept His teachings. I know that that is so true. Sometimes I wonder about the reason He does things the way He does. Then I realize that I don't need to worry; He has everything under control. :)

Brandon Hunsaker said...

I enjoyed your blog. You remind me of my best friend in high school who is now at Cornell. She like you investigated the church but struggled with faith because she was very logically minded like you. But she had a desire and over time and after she had read The Book of Mormon and continued being involved with the Church she gained a testimony and was baptized. The process of conversion is so beautiful.

R. Lawrence said...

Yours is a wonderful, and logical, look at faith (strange that once we understand faith and the spirit there are logical steps to understanding what the mind of man can't logically reason about alone)

Jmyrick said...

I am also pretty logically minded, which made your post make even more sense because it was like it was talking to me. Good job, and I like your quotes

Amy Jewkes said...

Awesome post! I too am very logical minded and take pros and cons into account upon making decisions.