Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Rock of Salvation

My Rock of Salvation
By: Coleman Lefevor

Rocks are hard, firm, and the big ones are immovable. This is why Christ is called the rock of our salvation. In the primary song “The Wise Man and the Foolish Man” the foolish man builds his house upon sand and it gets washed away when the storms come, but the wise man built it upon a rock and it stood still when the floods came. This shows us that when we allow Christ to be the rock of our salvation we shall withstand the rain of the adversary. The more we build upon this rock the stronger we get and the better we are able to stand against the rains.
By building upon the rock of our salvation we draw closer to God and become better people. “Yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and my everlasting God.” (2 Ne. 4:35). We are shown that when we build upon the rock of our salvation such as I have just mentioned then we shall be able to forever cry and communicate with our God. He will hear us, and he will answer us and it will keep us continually building upon that same rock.
When we are building upon this rock we need to beware that we do not let the devil get to us before we can reach safety. He will surely be trying. “Hearken unto me, ye that follow after righteousness. Look unto the rock from whence you are hewn, and to the hole, of the pit from whence ye are digged.” (2 Ne. 8:1). When we are careless as to our building the adversary quickly and quietly comes to destroy us. The devil has so many different ways to take us off of the rock which we are trying to build upon. One example that I have used to build upon the rock of my salvation is to read the For the Strength of Youth daily. It is something I feel of great importance especially to today’s youth. Ever since I have started reading it daily I have noticed an extra help and protection for me.
The rock upon which we build is a defence for us. It protects us and provides a place where we can turn to the lord. “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.” (Psalms 62:2). “And in them shall be written my gospel, saith the Lamb, and my rock and my salvation.” (1 Ne. 13:36). If we have the gospel written in us we will constantly be building on the rock of our salvation. Doing everything we can to return to live with God.
When we build upon the rock of our salvation we are building upon Christ. We are letting him strengthen us and help us so one day we might be able to return and live with our Heavenly Father. What a glorious day that will be. It is important to build upon him so that the devil will have no power over us. That we can withstand his darts. The strength from building upon Christ is real. I Have felt it. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

Works Cited
Children’s songbook “The Wise Man and the Foolish Man”
2 Nephi 4:35
2Nephi 8:1
Psalms 62:2
1 Nephi 13:36

10 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Coleman, thank you for your blog post and your testimony. You followed the organization very well. Are there any personal experiences that you could share? Or could you elaborate further on how reading For the Strength of Youth has helped you specifically?

erin said...

Your first story reminds me of the three pigs and the big bad wolf. The pig with the house of bricks is the one able to rescue himself and his friends from the wolf :)

Jin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jin said...

I liked how you used the primary song to help us understand how important it is to have a firm foundation of Christ. It is very helpful, thank you.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

I agree with Erin, your blog does remind me of the three little pigs, in a good way though:) As long as we have a firm foundation the big bad wolf (satan) can not knock us off of it. Great post!

MD said...

Great use of scriptures to help strengthen your topic! I agree with Amanda; it would be great to hear more about how For the Strength of Youth has helped you.

darajf said...

Your blog was simple but eloquently written, which I think helped enhance your blog:)

mormongirl5of9 said...

I liked how you said that we need to continually build our defenses through Christ. I also know that He is our Rock and our Salvation.

R. Lawrence said...

I loved how your definition of a rock including that an immovable rock is big! We are not building upon a pebble, or fist-sized rock, we are standing upon the truth and power of the universe.

Amy Jewkes said...

As you spoke of writing the gospel of christ and how he is the rock and salvation, it made me think of the ten commandments and how they were written on stone tablets. awesome!