Monday, October 6, 2008

"They Pray and They Go" -Kyle Jacobson

“They Pray and They Go”
By: Kyle Jacobson


If our world was filled with people who didn’t act upon their thoughts or ideas, where would we be in life? If Thomas Edison got the idea to create the lightbulb, but never acted, we would still be using candles and torches. An Idea without an action is just a daydream. If there is action, it becomes a reality. When God gives us commandments, they are not intended to be thought about and then passed over as if it is non-existent. We must pray and then we must go. Nephi is a beautiful example of this, when God asked Nephi to “GO” and get the plates from Laban, he said “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” (1 Ne 3:7)
The word “go”, as defined by dictionary.com, it means “to move from one place or point to another: to travel.” This requires a physical action. If we are asked to do something, we must “move” to accomplish it. In my own life I have experienced this, just recently I was called to be a gospel doctrine teacher in the BYU 242nd ward. I was literally called by the second councilor in the bishopric, this calling requires of me to “go”. When he called me and asked me to this calling, he expected of me that I would not only go and do this action, but to prepare, to put everything I can into it, and the Lord will provide us a way to accomplish it.
Every action, if done correctly, requires some sort of preparation. For instance, if I want to participate in sports correctly, I must stretch, practice, and get all of the necessary equipment ready before hand. If I want to do well on my math final, I must pay attention in class, do the assigned work, and get a regularly good amount of sleep. The same goes for completing tasks and commandments from the Lord. When the Lord asked me to be the gospel doctrine teacher, I knew I must prepare every sunday for my lesson, I need to research the topic, pray about the topic, and get all of the necessary tools I need for the lesson beforehand. Everything requires preparation.
We must also put everything we have into what is required of us, in the Doctrine and Covenants, chapter 4, verse 2, it reads, “Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.” God not only expects us to do what we are asked, but to do it with ALL of our heart, might, mind and strength.
If we do everything the lord asks of us and give it our all, with preparation and prayer, “...he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” (I Ne 3:7). “ I know if I prepare my lessons with prayer, and with the Lord, and I do it with all my heart, might, mind and strength, the Lord WILL provide a way for me to accomplish everything that is asked of me, and I WILL be able to touch lives and influence those In my class. “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6) If we consider the words of daniel, and the well known story of Goliath, we see an example of how David has an unwavering will to do what the lord asks. After he submits his request to go fight Goliath, they mock him, and discourage him from taking on such a large task, in response he states,”....The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine, and Saul said unto David, Go, and the lord be with thee.” (1 Samuel 17:37.)

The Lord asks much of us, and much is expected of us in return. With preparation, prayer, and if we give it everything we’ve got, a way will be provided. In the words of president Thomas S. Monson, “they pray and they go.”


Works Cited: 1 Nephi 3:7
Proverbs 3: 5-6
D&C 4:2
Thomas S. Monson “They pray and they Go” Liahona, Jul 2002,
54-57
1 Samuel 17:37
1 Kings 17:9-16
http://www.Dictionary.Com

7 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

I really like the scriptures and stories that you use to illustrate your talk. Being a gospel doctrine teacher requires the same kind of careful preparation that you put into this blog. I especially like the scripture near the end about escaping the mouth of the lion. Thank you for reading the 2 Nephi 9 verse today in class. My prayers are with you and your mother.

erin said...

I thought this was a really interesting idea about how useless an idea is unless it is acted upon. This will help me in my life start acting on my ideas more often. :)

Coleman said...

i thought that your insight was very inspiring. i think you are right when you say that we need to be people of action and that the lord prompts us to do things because we need to act. you did an amazing job.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

I also really like like the idea that when Heaven Father tells you to 'go' and 'do' something, that you actually have to put forth faith and effort to get it done. I also like the story of David and Goliath, David had to exercise his faith to slay the giant.

mormongirl5of9 said...

I liked how you drew the connection between the actions and ideas. I am also a Gospel Doctrine teacher (and the Sunday School Secretary) I know that I have to put in the right amount of effort if I expect a lesson to go well.

R. Lawrence said...

I loved the strength of your words. Also, how we need to prepare so that at a moments notice we can act, and that we will be asked in the first place because of it.

R. Lawrence said...

I loved the strength of your words. Also, how we need to prepare so that at a moments notice we can act, and that we will be asked in the first place because of it.