Sunday, October 19, 2008

Look Not to Signs for Faith (REVISED) by: Kyle Jacobson

What is a spiritual sign? A sign is defined as an event or experience which people understand to be evidence or proof of something. A sign is usually a miraculous manifestation from God. Saints should seek for the gifts of the Spirit but should not seek for signs to satisfy curiosity or sustain faith. Rather, the Lord will give signs as he sees fit to those who believe.

It is so easy to want to satisfy the search for faith, with a vision. To have a tangible piece of evidence, solid proof. But as we have seen time and time again in the scriptures, even as Laman and Lemuel, that signs and visions do not have a lasting effect. When Laman and Lemuel were with Nephi going to get the plates, an angel appeared unto them. If that’s not solid proof that this gospel is true, I don’t know what else is. Yet they quickly began to doubt again, within minutes. Whereas Nephi already had a strong foundation in faith. Since he did, when he saw visions and signs, they built upon his faith and made his testimony stronger. In Matthew 12:39 it states, “...an evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign.” We must not seek for signs, then we would be an evil and adulterous. We must gain the faith required to see the signs. In 1994’s “The Santa Clause”, Little Elf Judy states, “Seeing isn’t believing, believing is seeing.” Signs will be shown to us when we don’t need them. In Mark 16:17, “...these signs shall follow them that believe.” The word sign in hebrew is oth, this is defined as a flag or a beacon. A beacon is defined as a fire or light set up as a warning, signal, or celebration, In order to receive these beacons, we must have faith.

Jonathan H. Stephenson says, “Some signs are miraculous or unusual events that demonstrate the existence, power, or wisdom of the Lord. They have been an important part of his work since the beginning, when he put the sun, moon, and stars in the sky ‘for signs’” In most of the examples, save a few, the signs given have been signs to increase. And time and time again, the faith does not last, because their faith was based on that vision. When we base our faith on truths and Christ, it is a stronger and longer lasting faith. Last year, I was getting ready to go to the temple, when I realized I did not have my temple recommend. I searched everywhere, but was still unable to find it. After I had searched to the extent of my ability, I knelt in prayer. I prayed to God the father to help me find my recommend. Then my memory started up, and I knew exactly where I had put it. I know that if I had not faith enough to know that God would help me find it, it would not have been made manifest unto me. I had to have the faith first, and the sign was given unto me, which increased my faith, it didn't create my faith.

Korihor was an anti-Christ, he mocked the prophets and taught against them, bringing many to listen to him because of his charisma and charm. He told Alma, that he would not believe in a Christ unless a sign was given unto him. “Korihor was struck dumb, that he could not have utterance,” (Alma 30:50). He gained a knowledge of God, but a knowledge without faith will vanish. But Korihor remained struck dumb and it did not cease and he was cast out. Signs are not only given to the righteous, they are given to the wicked as well, but as you can see in this example, even though he was given a sign, he still received justice for his false preaching and his evil ways.
To me when some miraculous healing happens or some miraculous event occurs, it doesn’t have a long lasting effect. What does have a long lasting effect for me is my testimony. I know God exists through prayer, scripture study, and my own personal hard work to know for myself the truth, and that, is what lasts.

The Lamanites are a great example of how knowledge without faith is nothing. In 3Ne 2:1, “And it came to pass that....the people began to forget those signs and wonders which they had heard, and began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven, insomuch that they began to be hard in their hearts, and blind in their minds, and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen-” Because the Lamanites didn’t have a foundation of faith, the wonder had worn off.

“there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we will shall believe.” (Alma 32:17) We could be shown the heavens and all of the mysteries of God, and still fall away from the church. We must have a foundation of faith. Faith is constant and forever. With a foundation of faith, signs and miracles will only add to our faith. But if we do not have that foundation, there is nothing for the wonderment of the signs to build onto. Knowledge without faith is in vain.

I know of a surety that God exists, that he is my Lord and my Savior. I know that this Church is the only true church on this earth, i know that the book of mormon is a true and precious book. I know that we receive modern day revelation through our prophets on the earth today. I know these things because of my faith, not because I have seen a vision or witnessed a miracle, but because I have prayed and pondered, and received answers to my prayers. Look not to signs for faith.

Works Cited

  • Matthew 12:39
  • Mark 16:7
  • Alma 30:50
  • 3 Nephi 2:1
  • Alma 32:17
  • Jonathan H. Stephenson “I Have a Question,” Ensign, Dec 1994, 60–61
  • “The Santa Clause” (1994)

8 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Kyle--good focus and support. It looks like you really thought about and studied this topic. Careful of very long quotations. Use quotations as support for your ideas rather than as the substance of your essay.

erin said...

It is good to have a reminder of signs and how they are from our Heavenly Father. Sometimes i forget to be looking for them and I miss them.

Coleman said...

i loved your blog. it seemed different than most others and it was really good. i liked how you pointed out that signs dont make us believe. very good.

Jin said...

I really liked your insight on knowledge that knowledge without faith is nothing. It reminds me of the New Testament. How Jesus Christ showed so many miracles but in the end ones with faith only truly understood Him and loved Him. Thank you for your blog!

MD said...

Great use of examples to support your blog topic! You gave some really great insights and I really enjoyed reading your post.

Brandon Hunsaker said...

Yes you are right gaining faith takes work. I have definetly felt the Spirit to gain a testimony of the Gospel, but I have had to work at it and really study hard and continuously to gain that confirmation from the Holy Ghost.

Jmyrick said...

I really liked your examples, they were really good in illustrating your point. good job

Amy Jewkes said...

I enjoyed the subject of signs and wonders especially during this christmas season when we recall the signs that were given to the world.