Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Power of Speech (Tongue of Angels)~Jessie Harmer

We have been given a very powerful gift from our Heavenly Father- the gift of the tongue of angels. After receiving the power of the Holy Ghost, we can be partakers of this gift. Through the tongue of angels, miracles happen. “It is by words… [that] every being works when he works by faith. God said, ‘Let there be light: and there was light.’ Joshua spake, and the great lights which God had created stood still. Elijah commanded, and the heavens were stayed for the space of three years and six months, so that it did not rain. … All this was done by faith. Faith, then, works by words; and with [words] its mightiest works have been, and will be, performed" (1). God speaks through men to give his children modern revelation for their times. To speak with the tongue of angels means to speak the words of Christ through revelation. 2 Nephi 32: 2-3 says, "Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost? Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." Christ has given us this amazing power to be a voice for Him. We should be "feasting" upon his words, including the words of modern revelation from his prophets who have been given that tongue of angels.
Before we can receive this gift, we know that we must have the Holy Ghost…but it is more than that. We must receive the Holy Ghost. We have to be humble enough and be willing to take upon us the responsibility to act when He asks us to. To receive the Holy Ghost we must go through the "baptism of fire" and then can we speak with the tongue of angels and "shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel" (2). Before we are baptized, we me must truly repent and accept Christ as our Savior. After we have received the Holy Ghost, we must remain worthy to have it with us by always standing in holy places. We also need to listen so that we may hear that still, small voice reaching out to us.
With this promise also comes a warning. If we receive this powerful gift and then deny Christ, He tells us, "it would have been better for you that ye had not known me" (3). Words are sacred and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit. Words can be used for good or ill but either way are very powerful. James tells us, “The tongue is a little member. … [But] behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth”. In Greek “matter” means forest and so James is saying that by a tiny flame a whole forest can be burnt! We need to be careful with what we say. James adds, “For in many things we offend all. [But] if any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body” (4). That is a loaded statement. We can become perfect if we use caution with our words and only speak that which is virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy. Jesus told His disciples: “Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man” (5). Our words are powerful! We need to be careful what we say and think about its possible affects before opening our mouths.
We don’t realize the effect our words have on people, especially when we are speaking with the tongue of angels, having the Spirit to guide us. I grew to be best friends with the owner of my dance studio this last year. I spent 90 percent on my time there or at her home and we became inseparable. Often she would ask me questions about the gospel but I wouldn’t know what to say. I didn’t think I knew enough about the gospel to fully answer her and I didn’t want to get anything wrong! I would kind of shy away from the topic when she brought it up. I loved her so much and I didn’t want our conflicting beliefs to ruin that. She was especially concerned about me going to BYU and learning “weird things”. As I prayed about what to do, Heavenly Father gave me strength. He helped me realize that if I really loved her, I would want to share this wonderful gospel with her. I got up the courage and went to her home for a long talk. We prayed when I got there and talked for hours. I was able to answer all her questions and quote scriptures I didn’t know I knew! It was crazy! I was able to share my firm testimony with her and I know we both felt the Spirit so strong. The next day as we were closing up the studio she told me she had prayed about it and that she knew I was doing the right thing and how she was so grateful to know me. She isn’t truly converted yet but I was so grateful for that powerful, if only momentary, tongue of angels. She will always remember that day and I know it made a difference.
I hope that we can always remain worthy to use this powerful gift of the tongue of angels as Nephi and all the prophets of old did, as well as modern prophets. People like you and I can also be partakers of this gift if we but listen and are ready to receive revelation that someone around you needs to hear. We are angels in some ways. People pray to their Father for help and who knows if we are the angel they need?

11 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Jessie, great topic. I am a great believer in the power of language. Did you read Elder Holland's talk from Conference a while back on this subject? The organization and thesis in your essay weren't entirely clear to me: great, focused topic, though.

erin said...

its so nice to be reminded that we were given the gift of angels from our Heavenly Father and that we can share this with others. What better gift?

Coleman said...

i thought you did a great job. i might suggest to proof read it. i really liked your personal example. it was very inspiring. i totally agree that words have a great power.

Jin said...

Great choice of topic! I really enjoyed your personally experience... Before I came to States, I had similar experience with my piano teacher. It was an amazing experience and great feeling I recieved. Thank you for sharing yours! And I also agree with you that words have a huge amount of effect on people's lives and we need to be aware of using it right.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

When a person speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost both the listener and the speaker are edified. It sounds like this is exactly what happened to you when you spoke to your friend. I hope that she will accept the gospel.

MD said...

Your personal example that you shared was very powerful. Thanks for sharing that! It added a lot to your post.

darajf said...

Wow! What a spiritual experience! I bet that was incredible! Thanks for brightening my day today:)

mormongirl5of9 said...

wow! good choice of topic. I especially liked the experience with your friend. That is so neat that you knew what you needed to say. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to speak with the tongue of angels and I see that you're grateful for that too.

R. Lawrence said...

What a wonderful experience! It is amazing how our faith is witnessed in our words, in expressing our testimony of Christ and His gospel.

Jmyrick said...

I loved your quote from James, “The tongue is a little member. … [But] behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth”... that is a powerful statement

Amy Jewkes said...

I too have thought how it would be and how we can attain the gift of the tongues of angels. good job