Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ministering Angels in Our Midst-- By: Valene Barwick

Stories of ministering angels are scattered throughout the scriptures, all in different contexts and and surroundings, but they all do the same thing. Angels are sent from God to minister to us, to uplift us, and protect us. This hasn't stopped since ancient times, today they just appear like everyday people. Those who are perceptive to the spirit become God's angels in the lives of those around them.

Life is hard. If it were easy, what would be the point? But there are times that we really need help. If we pray to God and ask his assistance, he will answer. Often times he does so through other people. "And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me" (2 Nephi 4:24). There have been multiple times that I have been praying about a problem that I'm having and the next Sunday, my teacher teaches me exactly what I need to know. "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ" (2 Nephi 32:3). This is how they answer prayers because they are speaking for Him.

There are times that I feel I have lost control of life. It's like everything is spiraling out of hand and accelerating towards the end of the track. The panic has begun and sunk into a solidly sickening lump in my stomach. This happened recently as everything about this newly independent life at college threw itself at me and I became overwhelmed as everything turned for the worse all at once. In this time of desperation, a friend came to my aid. He said everything I needed to hear. He was there to lift me up and protect me from myself and my circumstances. "In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old" (Isaiah 63:9). He was my angel and I know that God had answered my prayers because He loves me and has mercy.

We can all be angels but we need to be sure that we are angels of good intent. "And I, Lehi, according to the things which I have read, must needs suppose that an angel of God, according to that which is written, had fallen from heaven; wherefore, he became a devil, having sought that which was evil before God" (2 Nephi 2:17). Satan was an angel but he had selfish and unrighteous intent, so he fell. We need stay in tune with the spirit so that when God needs us to answer a prayer, we will be receptive to his spirit and be able to act. I know that I have missed opportunities to serve because I was too involved in my own life and problems. I wasn't looking for those that were worse off, I was being narrow minded and selfish. I saw only the path ahead of me and not the the fallen traveller on the side. By being humble and grateful for the blessings we have been given, it is easier to see the needs of others and be their angel.
In the 2004 May Ensign, Susan W. Tanner said that:

"Everywhere there are young women who are in the middle of their own stories, facing dangers and hardships. As with Peter there will be "angels round about you, to bear you up" (D&C 84:88). They will sustain us as we carry our earthly burdens. Often in our lives, those angels are the people around us, the people who love us, those who allow themselves to be instruments in the Lord’s hands. President Spencer W. Kimball said: "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom."

We can each be an instrument int he Lord's hands and join the ranks of the ministering angels. By being open to the spirit, we are not only helping ourselves, but others as well. There are times that we will need an angel to save us and if we will ask with a sincere heart, he will send angels too us. "Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?" (Moroni 7:36). Angels have not ceased to appear to us, they just appear in different guises than they once did. God loves us, and he will always love us. He does not like to see us suffer. We are His children and he will do everything to help us if we will just ask.

Works cited:
LDS Scripture Concordance program to find scriptures
Old Testament in the Holy Bible--Isaiah 63:9
Susan W. Tanner, "All Things Shall Work Together for Your Good," Ensign, May 2004, 104
The Book of Mormon--2 Nephi 2:17, 4:24, 32:3 & Moroni 7:36

15 comments:

Amanda S. said...

I'm curious after reading this about how you define angels? Are they simply people who are perceptive to th Spirit? Thank you for your personal experience.

Careful of very long quotes so they don't overwhelm short pieces such as this one.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I can relate to having a season when life seems out of control, and an angel friend says just the right words to keep us going. That happened to me today when Elder Edgely spoke about "Hope" in our BYU Devotional.

erin said...

its so nice to be reminded that Heavenly Father sends us guardian angels! someone is always looking over us! :)

Jin said...

When I was younger, I used to pray to Heavenly Father to send guardian angels to protect my family and house whenever I got scared. I imagined golden angels coming down from the heaven and literally being on my side- I felt loved and protected in those times. Now I understand little differently: angels come and aid you in different ways. Through your neighbors, friends, and etc.
I really liked your blog.
Also, thank you for sharing you personal experience!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed the Idea that we can all be angels to other people, by serving. I have seen, in my life, your definition of angels. As someone who has helped me out in my time of need. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Your quote from Sis. Tanner fit in perfectly! Thanks for the reminder that we can all be angels for others!

MD said...

I like how you talked about the importance of being in tune with the spirit so we can act as angels in the lives of others.

Stefan Leimer said...

I love your definition of angels. I agree that the people around us can be angels and that we should try and be angels of God every now and then.

R. Lawrence said...

It is wonderful to think that we can be angels, I'm only embarressed that there have been times when I wasn't.

Anonymous said...

There really are so many people that can be angels to us in our lives. Simply by little acts of kindness a day can be brightened.

Isaac Ferguson said...

The Susan W. Tanner quote is great support. I can relate to having just the right thing said to keep me going.

Anonymous said...

"Life is hard. . ." Dang right. Although there are some times you just wish it were easy. Thanks for your reassurance that we can have ministering angels with us.

D-Weezy said...

Guardian angels are a blessing in my life and i believe that i have one. Ha. Your blog speaks to me in that way and incrases my testimony. Thanks for your words and for helping me understand.

Amy Jewkes said...

I too felt the same way upon coming to college and being away from home and much more independent. What a wonderful time of life!

Danny G said...

This is so true. We can minister and be ministered to by being led by the spirit. Always listen. You never know when you will be that ministering angel.