Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wisdom and Understanding In Our Lives by Christie Beck

The acquisition of knowledge is crucial for progression in this time of constant change in the world. However, worldly knowledge is not enough. As temptations bombard us in our daily lives, it is critical that we gain spiritual wisdom and understanding to ward off Satan's attacks. We can apply the knowledge that we do have in order to gain wisdom and understanding about the things that our Heavenly Father would have us do. As we focus ourselves on the aspects of life that are truly important, we can gain increases in wisdom and understanding that will guide us as we make our journey home to our Father in Heaven.

Gaining wisdom and understanding is not something that can happen overnight. It is a process that we must build upon throughout our lives. Once we recognize this concept, we then must discover how to obtain the wisdom and understanding that God would have us pursue. We are taught that "God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy." [1] I love this scripture because of the connections that it makes. As we act as the Lord would have us act, He will bless us with wisdom and understanding. It is when we obtain God's wisdom and knowledge, rather than just man's, we find joy in our lives. Trials and hardships will still come but, because we have wisdom and understanding of the role of God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ in our lives, we know that everything will turn out how it is supposed to.

In the quest for wisdom and understanding, the importance of worldly knowledge cannot be overlooked. I have found that my worldly knowledge has been crucial in helping me to gain wisdom and understanding in the more eternal areas of my life. The Lord commanded us "seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith." [2] In my experience at Brigham Young University, I have been amazed at how my testimony has been strengthened as I have engaged in secular learning. I have gained a greater appreciation of the role that Heavenly Father plays in my personal life and in the world around me. In my Human Development class we constantly discuss the influence of nature and nurture on the choices that individuals make each day. Most researchers agree that both nature and nurture play a role. Although seemingly unrelated to the gospel, this single concept has given me greater understanding of the agency Heavenly Father  has given me in my life. I truly make the choice about my daily attitude, what I believe, and the person I will become. Even though we are free to choose for ourselves, Heavenly Father has not left us without guidance. The Book of Mormon tells us that "the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil." [3] We all have a responsibility to face the consequences of the choices that we make but we all have the ability to distinguish between good and bad selections. I have learned that I am happier when I make choices that have positive outcomes rather than those with lasting negative effects. I love knowing that I am in control of my happiness. Without my search for secular knowledge, I would not have gained this spiritual wisdom.

Wisdom and understanding are mature principles of the gospel. These concepts turn our thinking away from our natural tendencies. As we become more educated, many in the the world would have us believe that we superior to those without such levels of knowledge However, wisdom and understanding work in an opposite manner. As more wisdom and understanding are imparted to us, we feel a desire to turn ourselves over to the Savior and God's plan. We begin to feel as Nephi did when he said, "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation." [4] True understanding comes when we realize that His will is much better than our will because He sees the big picture. A verse from one of my favorite hymns beautifully demonstrates the trust that are all striving for as we search for wisdom and understanding. It reads, "Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below." [5] I love this verse because it shows the confidence we can feel when we gain an understanding of the role of the Savior in our lives. Gaining wisdom and understanding is crucial for us to continue to develop our relationship with our Lord and Savior.

The pursuit of knowledge in any area is a commendable activity, particularly with how the world is today. However, it is important that we make sure to look beyond the near future. We must keep an eternal perspective throughout our experience here as well. As we apply our knowledge to gain wisdom and understanding of God's will for us, we will fin joy as we gain greater insight of the Lord's will for us.

Sources
1. Ecclesiastes 2:26
2. D&C 88:118
3. Moroni 7:16
4. 2 Nephi 22:2
5. Hymn #124 "Be Still, My Soul"

9 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Christie,
Thanks for your post; I enjoyed it! I especially like how you used the hymn "Be Still My Soul" in your blog. This is one of my favorite hymns. It is well-balanced with your own thoughts as well as analysis of the scriptures.

Joe Olson said...

Chrisite,
Wow that was a powerful blog. I really enjoyed how you were able to tie in worldly knowledge with godly knowledge. I love the hymn too it was awesome!
Great job!
Joe

Cynthia Hallen said...

This is a solid and strong doctrinal discourse. Will you expand it for a conference presentation?

erin said...

Its good to remember that Satan is always tempting us. It will be easier to resist if we are prepared to fight the temptations with the Lord on our side.

Coleman said...

you did a great job. i was a little confused in parts but i really liked how you pointed out that gaining wisdom is a process that takes time. good job.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

Your blog flowed really well from topic to topic. I liked how you pointed out that just because you have more secular knowledge than others, does not mean that you are better than them. I think it takes a humble person to recognize that regardless of our education level, that we must consecrate all of our talents to the Lord, and we will be equally blessed for it.

MD said...

The connections you made between secular and spiritual knowledge were great! I also really liked how you talked about gaining wisdom and knowledge as a process that happens slowly over time.

mormongirl5of9 said...

I also took Child Development and it astounded me how much of the gospel tied into our lessons. The concepts fit in ways I never thought possible. I love Be Still My Soul! I think that the way you incorporated that hymn was amazing.

Amy Jewkes said...

Seeing things with an eye of faith helps us gain wisdom not attainable through reason alone. This gives us greater wisdom. Awesome insights!