Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Messengers by Alexa Kirk

Messengers – By Alexa Kirk

The Greek word for “angel” is άγγελος (angelos), which also means “messenger.” Angels are messengers of God. Heavenly Father among other things, sends them to guide, protect, and comfort us in times of need. I believe that ministering angels watch over us and help us in difficult times, according to our hope and diligence.

Angels attend to us by faith. In Moroni we read, “For it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is in vain” [1]. One example of faith that brought about the ministering of angels is the story of Daniel. Because Daniel had enough faith to pray, despite the law King Darius enacted that no one ask a petition of God, ministering angels attended to him and saved his life by calming the lions in the den. We can apply this concept to our own lives, in this day and age. If we have faith and humble ourselves before God, He will send angels to watch over and protect us.

Angels still look after us, just as they did in times of the Bible. Moroni 7:29 states “Have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men” [2]. Elder John A. Widstoe said, “Undoubtedly angels often guard us from accidents and harm, from temptation and sin. They may properly be spoken of as guardian angels. Many people have borne and may bear testimony to the guidance and protection that they have received from sources beyond their natural vision. Without the help that we receive from the constant presence of the Holy Spirit, and from possible holy angels, the difficulties of life would be greatly multiplied” [3].

In a recent Fast & Testimony meeting, a fellow ward member testified of ministering angels. A few years ago, her father and nine and five year-old brothers experienced a serious car accident. The car rolled several times, and the metal vehicle became very mangled and crushed. The father was ejected from the car and laid unconscious a few feet away, and the elder brother was able to get himself out. The five year-old brother after a few minutes also was able to free himself from the vehicle and attend to his father. After help arrived, officers asked the younger boy how he was able to get out of the car. After all, he was sitting on the side of the car that was more severely crushed—it appeared almost impossible that he could have wrenched himself free. The boy replied, “A lady came and helped me get out so I could go help my dad.” They asked the elder brother who this lady was, but he said he saw no such woman. This ward sister bore witness that God sends messengers to protect and watch over us, and that Heavenly Father loves and care about us and will send them to look after his children.

A few years ago, I discovered this scripture that has often given me comfort in times of hardship. In Doctrine and Covenants we read, “I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up” [4]. Last year, I went through a difficult time in my life. I was struggling with a number of issues, including friends, school, and family issues, but I found great solace in this scripture. I know that I had, as the verse says, “angels round about me,” and through prayer, scripture reading, and faith, I was able to get through it.

Scripture study is important if we want to have the blessings of ministering angels. We read in 2 Nephi 32:3, “Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, he will tell you all the things what ye should do” [5]. Scripture study is an important tool if we want to be able to hear the Holy Ghost, and in turn be spoken to and attended by angels. If we are “feasting” upon the words of Christ, we are more apt to hear angels through the Holy Ghost.

I have a testimony of ministering angels. I know that if we humble ourselves before the Lord and demonstrate our faith, he will send messengers to guide and protect us. I know that feasting upon the scriptures greatly improves our ability to hear the Holy Ghost, through which angels speak, and that angels guide us today just as they did in the times of the scriptures. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

[1] Moroni 7:37
[2] Moroni 7:29
[3] John A. Widtsoe, The Improvement Era, April 1944, 225
[4] D&C 84:88
[5] 2 Nephi 32:3

14 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Alexa, you have a lot of great thoughts, stories, scriptures, and examples. What is your particular topic? How do the things you talk about angels in their role as messengers specifically?

Rebekah said...

Wow, I really enjoyed your blog Alexa. I feel like the scriptures you used were so perfect, and you placed them in the right spots to really add to the meaning of your blog. I agree with what you said about there always being angels round about us. I've felt them in my life too. Great job!

Jin said...

Great blog! I really enjoyed reading.
Especailly the story of the accident was very touching and inspiring. Most of the times the help of ministering angels come in small ways that we take for granted. But through stories like you mentioned, we relize how great the power of the ministering angels is and how much Father loves us and wants to protect us from harm.

Unknown said...

So amazing, thank you very much. I specifically enlightened by the fact that if we are not receiving revelations, it is by our lack of faith, not because revelations have ceased.

Unknown said...

Alexa - I like how you mentioned that angels attend to us through faith-and that we need to be worthy of their assistance.

Stefan Leimer said...

I really enjoyed your blog! I especially liked the story about the car crash. It shows that God truly does care and watches over us.

Brandon Hunsaker said...

I knew that angels attended people in special circumstances, but I never made the connection that it was because of prayers. This was a testimony builder of the power of prayer. Thanks!

R. Lawrence said...

You have a wonderful testimony, and beautiful faith in the Lord, and that we are not left alone. Like Elisha in 2 kings, we're surrounded by innumberable hosts, and if we are righteous than they will be the hosts of heaven.

Anonymous said...

Through faith angels minister unto men? That reminds me of the Holy Ghost. We have the faith to choose the right paths and we are rewarded with his spirit to guide and protect us.

Isaac Ferguson said...

I love this part in your blog, “I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up” So very reassuring in a world as scary as ours has become.

Anonymous said...

I love how you emphasized the fact that we can have angels with us if we have enough faith.

D-Weezy said...

I never really thought that angels could dwell with me. Its great to know that if i exercise my faith in them that they can be. Great work.

Unknown said...

I am always so touched and amazed at testimonies and stories like the one you told. God is real. He loves us and He does watch over and protect us. He wants so badly for us to reach our potential in this life, and then come home to Him.

Danny G said...

I really liked how you bore your testimony about how you know that angels can minister to us. I also liked that you said angel means messenger.