Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Finding the Power in Purity: Rebekah Hafen

What first comes to mind when you hear the word purity? I think of cleanliness, spotless, clarity, and wholesomeness. Having purity in your life is an essential key to free agency. You are not bound by bad decisions, thoughts, or actions. Having a pure heart and a pure mind will help us grow closer to our Savior. Keeping in line with His teachings and principles and living them to the fullest will lead us safely home to live with our Father in Heaven once more. There is great power in purity.

Pure in Heart
I have a next door neighbor whom I greatly admire. Janet Lindsay, a woman who I love as my own grandmother, suffers from muscular dystrophy. This disease has made it difficult for Janet to participate in many of her everyday activities. During the course of Janet's day I watch as there are many times when she would be rightly justified in complaining or asking "why me?". In these times of struggle I notice that she never loses that twinkle in her eye. Janet could easily use the excuse that she it just not physically able to serve others but indeed she does just the opposite. Janet serves more than any person I know. She is not serving to guarantee her spot in Heaven; Janet is serving because she honestly loves others with a pure heart. She is the least judgmental person I know, and loves each person for who they are. As Janet is nearing the end of her life I have been blessed to know of the truthfulness of a scripture in Matthew chapter five. In verse 8 we read: "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."(1) In my eyes, Janet is a perfect example of the pure in heart, and will no doubt return to the open arms of our Father in Heaven. I really love the last line in the second verse of the hymn Dearest Children, God is Near You, "God will bless the pure in heart." (2) I know with all my heart that this is true, and I have seen the blessings that come when I have a pure heart. There is power in purity.

Pure in Mind
In high school I was fortunate to be able to work with the special education and physically handicapped students. The principles I learned in that class are things that I could have never learned elsewhere and principles that I will use often throughout the remainder of my life. I was especially lucky to meet and become good friends with a wonderful boy names Ray. Ray was both mentally as well as physically handicapped. His attention span was quite short, and he often did not understand what was going on. In spite of Ray's mental retardations, everyone who knew him felt of his purity in mind. He never had thoughts that would defile himself or anyone else. Ray knew and understood the importance of keeping his mind pure. If anything rude, unclean, or inappropriate was said, Ray quickly flipped it around to mean something good. He wouldn't allow anything to corrupt his mind. In Titus 1:15 we read, "Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and their conscience is defiled." (3) By following Ray's example of having a pure mind, we will be truly blessed. We all know that thoughts lead to actions, and by keeping our thoughts clean and pure, we will keep our actions pure as well. There is power in purity.

Pureness After Baptism
Every now and again as I reflect upon my own baptism when I was just eight years old, I remember that wonderful feeling of cleanliness and purity. We are so blessed to have the opportunity to be baptized to have all of our sins washed away. After baptism we are clean and pure. Although everyone will sin again after baptism, we have the chance to repent and to take the sacrament to renew those baptismal covenants and to become pure once again. Former Primary General President, Dawn J. Young, said in her general conference address in 1984, "Repentance makes it possible to return to the straight and narrow path and become as pure as we were at baptism." (4) In Moroni 6:4 we read, "And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith." (5) The chance to become pure like our Savior Jesus Christ through the baptismal covenant is one of the greatest gifts that we can receive. There is power in purity.

A Pure Testimony
My favorite part of fast and testimony meeting is having the opportunity to hear from the little children of the church. Their testimonies are always so pure and simple. They are so innocent and have the pure love of Christ. Having a pure and true testimony of the gospel is such an essential part of our lives. In Psalms 119:2 it states "Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart." (6) Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, "Miraculous things happen when members join with missionaries and share pure testimony with those who are not memebers of the Church." (7) A pure testimony of Christ can bring others to the church. It can be the part of one's life that give hope, joy, and comfort. If we strive to build and strengthen that pure testimony, blessings will be poured upon us. There is power in purity.

This power is something that cannot be obtained easily. It requires work and diligence. Having a pure heart and mind, renewing our covenants to become pure again, and having a pure testimony of the gospel will bless the lives of many. There is undoubtedly power in purity.

Sources:
(1) Matthew 5:8
(2) LDS Hymnbook #96
(3) Titus 1:15
(4) Dawn J. Young. Keeping the Covenants We Made at Baptism. November 1984 Ensign.
(5) Moroni 6:4
(6) Psalm 119:2
(7) M. Russell Ballard. Pure Testimony. November 2004 Ensign.

17 comments:

Amanda S. said...

You have great support and experiences to back up your points! For such a short essay, it might be nice to integrate your headings into topic sentences for each of your paragraphs.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I like the way that you divided the topic into clear sub-sections. That helped me as a reader to follow your points. Good work.

Jin said...

I really liked you blog, especially the organization!It was very helpful for me to ponder and understand better about the power in purity.
Also, I really enjoyed your examples. They were very inspiring. Thank you for sharing them :).

Unknown said...

I loved it, when I thought of purity, I thought of being pure physically. This blog opened my eyes to the variety of purities we can obtain through this gospel. Thanks!

Unknown said...

The organization of your blog was great, Rebekah! My favorite was the pure testimony section.

MD said...

I like how you separated your blog into different subtopics. It made it really easy to read. Well done.

darajf said...

So, I'm pretty sure that this was the most rhetorically significant blog I've read today! The repetition of "There is power in purity," sounded almost like the Savior when He repeated principles of the gospel. That emphasis really drives home your point.

Stefan Leimer said...

I like how you applied purity to the different aspects of our life and I really enjoyed your personal experiences. Nice job.

Brandon Hunsaker said...

Thanks for your story about Janet and service. I was feeling bad for myself on Sunday with finals, but I went to go do my routine home teaching and I felt better for serving afterwards. Service helps not just the people who we help but it also helps ourselves too.

R. Lawrence said...

Back in my hometown, I would have to bear my testimony at least once a week. And I have to admit that I miss it, that spirit that accompanies my words not for my sake but for theirs.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that you separated them into different sections. It was very easy to read and understand.

Isaac Ferguson said...

Very well structured! I like how you had it divided into heart, mind, baptism, and testimony.

Alexa said...

I loved this blog!! All your stories and examples make it very powerful. I liked how you interpreted the word "pure" in many different ways.

Anonymous said...

I loved how you supplemented all of your topics with personal experiences from your life; very touching.

D-Weezy said...

I really like the way you organized your paper. Great support with all your topics. Thanks for your gifted words.

Unknown said...

Your next door neighbor sounds like an incredible person, someone I marvel at. I always wonder what I need to do to become someone like that, and I try everyday.

Danny G said...

I really liked the story of Janet. There really are people like that who bring joy to others just from being around them.