Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh Thou Rock of Our Salvation: Great joy in my life - Eunjin Kim

One can never build a house on an infirm foundation and expect the house to stand strong during harsh storms. However, one can trust on the house that it will stand firm and provide shelter during the storms if the house is build on a firm ground such as a rock. “Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.”[1] As Lehi exclaimed, our savior Jesus Christ is the firm ground that protects us and strengthens us during these harsh storms of the world.

In our pre-mortal life two plans were suggested. One was by Lucifer, brining every soul of men by taking away their free agency. The other was by Jesus Christ, giving free agency and let men have opportunity to choose. In result, Lucifer “had fallen from heaven, and had become miserable forever, he sought also the misery of all mankind. Wherefore, he said unto Eve, yea, even that old serpent, who is the devil, who is the father of all lies”[2] Men became mortal and their state became a state of probation. Jesus Christ offered himself as sacrifice for sin unto all mankind and unto those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit. He suffered for all of us to provide a way to turn back to heaven and live with Heavenly Father someday. He gave us an eternal salvation. However, it wasn’t enough for me. He wanted to do more things for us because He loves us so much. He also offered everyday salvation by being a listener, a counselor, and a friend.

Either they are big or small, we face temptations and frustrations. “We a war ’gainst sin are waging; We’re contending for the right. Ev’ry day the battle’s raging”[3] In this battle, you could feel lonesome, abandoned, and that there are no more things you could do. Two years ago, I was in Boise, Idaho as an
International student through an exchange student program. I was very happy to be there with my new host family who was a college student (non-LDS) and an exchange student just like me but from Spain. Everything worked out well starting from the beginning. I was able to adjust in my new school, friends, culture, and I even found a ward myself to go on Sundays. However, around Christmas, things started to fall apart. Eventually, I was in the situation where I could be sent back to Korea or I would have to make myself a liar. I was never frustrated or felt so lonely in my life. Then, I remembered Him. How Jesus Christ is my savior, my shelter, my friend, and how much He loves me. I started to pray about it and soon the answer came. I found a wonderful new host family who was willing to have me for the rest of my high school years and take me as part of the family. I could feel the Savior’s love through them and His personal care for me. I was sheltered and was able to rejoice in the house built on a rock of salvation.

What I learned most during my troubled time was that if I want the full effect of His love and care, I need to be within the circle of His arms. I noticed that during the time, I wasn’t paying attention to the Spirit. I forgot to study scriptures, prayed less and less everyday, and I was attracted by worldly things. I was walking way from my firm foundation myself. Just like the people who gave excuses to go to the great feast that the master offered to come. “And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.”[4] Christ sent invitation to everyone to come and build a safe and comforting house on a firm foundation. All we need to do is just to be ready.

We make mistakes. But “Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.”[5] And that is why Jesus Christ became the rock and it is given gift to all men. I would like to finish my writing with part of the psalm of Nephi. It is how I feel towards my Savior Jesus Christ and it is also my testimony. “O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin? May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road! O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy. O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm. Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.”[6]



[1] 2 Nephi 4:30
[2] 2 Nephi 4:18
[3] Hymn “Oh Thou Rock of Our Salvation”
[4] Luke 14:17
[5] 2 Nephi 2:25
[6] 2 Nephi 4:31-35

13 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Good job! I liked your personal experience. The blog was simple and profound. How did the main ideas in each paragraph connect to other paragraphs and your main idea as a whole? I'd like to hear more of your evaluation, and I think that would provide more transitions for you.

Rebekah said...

Eunjin, this is really good! I especially liked when you referred to Christ as a listener, a counselor, and a friend. All of those are really important things, and we are so lucky to have a brother like Him. I really enjoyed your blog!

darajf said...

"What I learned most during my troubled time was that if I want the full effect of His love and care, I need to be within the circle of His arms." Such a beautiful statement! Truly, your blog was wonderful, and it oozed eternal truths. I appreciated it.

Unknown said...

Very powerful personal experience. Your blog was so full of important ways to fight this battle we are in. I really enjoyed your blog. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Eunjin-life is a battle and I appreciated how you said that we need to trust in the Lord to get through it. Your personal experience was a great addition.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

I have to agree with Rebekah,Christ helps us everyday by being a listener, counselor, and friend. It is so great to know that our maker loves us this much, and knows us personally, thanks for your blog.

Stefan Leimer said...

Great blog. I like how you portray Christ as our shelter and our protector in times of adversity.

Brandon Hunsaker said...

Thank you for your personal story. Yes I have found too that when we pray and honor God everything works out.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching the construction develop over by the Cannon Center over the last couple of months. After they leveled the ground the first thing they did was add an appropriate foundation. Once we have repented of our sins and are ready to be converted we can begin building our foundation on Christ. Wonderful thoughts.

Isaac Ferguson said...

Talking about how you need to be in tune with the spirit if you want to feel the full effect of His love rang all too true. It was very profound for me.

D-Weezy said...

I hope that we all win this war. Thanks for putting it into terms like that. Sometimes i take it too lightly but you got me back on my toes. Thanks for your testimony and your example that you set through your personal experiences.

Unknown said...

That last part in the second paragraph gave me the chills. Where even after all that it wasn't enough to fully redeem us from our fallen state. Not only did Christ live and die for us, but He gave us all that we need to continue happily in this life. His way is the only way.

Danny G said...

I am glad that you included the personal experience of the contrast of when you were happy and not as happy. It gave greater depth to your blog.