Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Secrets to Delight, By Ashley Orr


When I hear the word delight, special memories flash through my mind of times when I was truly happy. For example, when every single one of my siblings were born I felt a great amont of delight and not only did I feel that delight but every single other person in that room had a smile of delight flashed across their face. I remeber the delight I felt when the small baby was placed in my arms. I knew that this baby had just arrived from Heaven, from Heavenly Father's arms into my families arms. I feel delight every time Christmas comes around, the lights, smells, and sounds are all screaming out delight and happiness. These special times bring delight to me and my physical body. But there is also my spiritual body, who wants and yearns to feel delight as well.
Now one might ask how they can feed their spirit delight. The answer is complex but yet so simple. In 2nd Nephi 25:3 it reads, "Behold, the Lord hath forbidden this thing; wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love. And except they should have charity they were nothing. Wherefore, if they should have charity they would not suffer the laborer in Zion to perish." Charity, otherwise known as service brings delight to the spirit. When we come out of ourselves and think about others there is no joy more marvelous. I have had the opportunity several times to serve others. This past school year I was called to be a special needs mutual counselor. Every Thursday for two hours I would go and have a special mutual with my assigned friend. My special friends name was April, and she literally changed my life. She brought so much delight to Mutal. On the very first day that I met April, she told me what happened to her and why she was the way she was. She told me that when she was ten years old a major blood vessel broke in her head, causing her to be in a coma for six months. While she was in her coma she told me she saw Heavenly Father and Jesus. Tears filled my eyes as I gave her a big hug. I felt the spirit so strong and I know that my heart was filled with delight. Here I was with a choice spirit. Heavenly Father had sent me April to help me, not for me to help her. I cannot stress enough how much delight is found through the power of service.
In 2nd Nephi 25:3 it reads "My sould delighteth in plainess unto my people, that they may learn." Delight does not come through mighty, amazing, light flashing things. Delight comes from small and plain things. The Lord has stressed this over and over again throughout the scriptures how his soul delighteth in small and simple things. One does not need a brand new boat, a brand new house, or even a brand new car to feel delight. I recall one time when I felt so much delight, not only my physical body but my spiritual body. It was the day when I was given my first set of scriptures. A plain and simple gift but filled with enough delight and happiness to last my whole life. I remember the scriptures being placed in my hands. At that moment I felt a peace come over me and I knew that the book lying in my hand was the word of God. In 2nd Nephi 25:5 it reads," Yea and my soul delighteth in the words of Isaiah." In other words my sould delighteth in the scriptures. In order for our spirits to fill delight every day, we must read and ponder the scriptures every day. It's as simple as that. I know on a personal level that the scriptures have and will continue to bring so much joy and delight to my life. I remember when I was eight years old, when I got my first scriptures, that I would read the scriptures, on my own, every night. And to this day I have continued to do that. The blessings that have come to my life from reading the scriptures are uncountable.
There are many other ways for our spirits to feel delight, in 2nd Nephi 25:25 it reads, "For, for this end was the law given; wherefore the las hath become dead unto us, and we are made alive in Christ because of our faith; yet we keep the law because of the commandments." The commandments are given to us so we can feel delight! How can we feel delight when we are putting harmful things into our bodies. Not only are our bodies being effected but our spirits as well. The commandments are there to guide us and to keep us safe. Along with safety comes delight. One of the scriptures in the Book of Mormon that brings delight to my soul is 2nd Nephi 25:26, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to wht source they may look for a remission of their sins." This verse is so beautiful to me. My soul leaps with delight whenever I read it. Christ brings delight and happiness into our lives. If our lives our focused around Christ, we will have nothing to fear. Our souls will be filled with delight every second of everyday. He is our light and he is the one that can bring us the greatest feeling of happiness into our lives.
Words that represent delight, that I found in the scripture cruncher are, "Glad, happiness, Joy, and plessure." These words are so beautiful and so welcoming to the spirit. It is our goal to have and experience all these incredible words. In order to become a delightsome person we must do all the things that I have mentioned above. We must serve others and be one who is filled up to the brim with charity. Come out of yourself , experience joy and beauty in the work of service, keep the commandments for they are the tools that will bring delight into our lives, read the scriptures and pray daily, that you will be able to have the spirit with you at all times, and finally come unto christ, delight in his presence. He is the greatest source of delight. He is the reason why we can fill joy, happiness, gladness, and peace, he is all these things, and it is our duty to become like him. Delight in the work and you shall see everlasting blessings.
Works Cited
1. Scriptures
2. Scripture Cruncher
3. Google Images

13 comments:

Amanda S. said...

I like your photo! I really liked your conclusion: it was a good summation of your points. Very solid.

erin said...

its so good to know that all of these moments that really bring us happiness (like christmas :)) are brought to us through the Lord.

Rebekah said...

Ashely, I really liked your blog! What a neat experience you had with April. I had the same opportunity, it changes your life, doesn't it? I also like you mention that your delight comes through Christ. That's so true.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog! I like the point you made about no greater joy than with charity, because it is the true love of Christ, and in becoming like Christ, we receive "a fullness of Joy." Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your blog! The photo was an adorable addition! Thanks for the reminder that true happiness steams from the Lord.

MD said...

This was a very powerful post, Ashley! I really enjoyed reading your experience with special needs mutual. I got to serve in special needs seminary when I was in high school so I could really relate to your story. Well done!

Brandon Hunsaker said...

Thank you for your story about April. It really touched me and asked me to ask some hard to ask questions about myself. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

My open stance to people is that I do not think babies are really that cute. Secretly, however, I believe they are adorable and contain such fragile, sweet spirits. Lots of love and happiness is needed to help them grow up right. Which is one reason I am so grateful for all mothers, and mine especially, who strive to create an environment safe for their children.

Jmyrick said...

I like your post, its awesome. Especially your story of delighting in service.

Isaac Ferguson said...

I love how you say the commandments are given to us so we can feel delight because I know this to be true.

Anonymous said...

I love how you describe the aura in the room where a new baby is. You just can't help smiling.

D-Weezy said...

That was a great photo that captured everything you were trying to say. Thanks for making me smile. Great job

Amy Jewkes said...

That is really touching about your siblings. I enjoyed your photo as well