Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Righteousness leads to happyness-Kevin Allen

One evening, Jimmy’s mom was making a scrumptious dinner. She was using the stovetop to make stir-fry. After frying the food, she took the skillet off the stove to serve the food. Unbenounced, she had left the stove on and jimmy, which was intrigued by the red color of the heating element, came up to it to investigate it. He reached up to touch it and was immediately met by a searing pain in his finger. In response to the sudden cry of pain, Jimmy’s mom rushed to see what was the matter. Seeing the situation, she asked him if he had learned a lesson from this experience. Jimmy then said “Never to touch the stove when it is on”.

Just like as children, we learn through experiences that righteousness is the path to choose. In 1st Nephi 22:19 it states “For behold, the righteous shall not perish…”. God has promised us that if we strive for righteousness he will protect us and help us. When we ask things with real intent, it will be granted to us, like it says in verse 24, “the desire of the righteous shall be granted.”

In my life, I have seen this happen countless times. Sometimes I will be having a hard time with some problem, and when I strive to fix is, things seem to turn around. They do not always go away immediately but in time they do. The problem I struggled with did, in time, go away. I became happier and wanted to be righteous all the time.

Hardships are not necessarily always a bad thing though. Yes, it is not enjoyable to be unhappy or have bad days, but these are for our own good. In Job 5:17 it says “Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty”. God puts us through hardships to mold us into the person he wants us to be. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) At the time we do not know why things that happen to us happen, but once everything is over, we learn why it happen.

Over my life, I have learned, sometimes the hard way, that righteousness is happiness. Whenever I am living by the commandments of the Lord, I am 100% always happier. I am never depressed or miserable. “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6) If we follow the lord’s will, we will be happier. I guarantee it.

15 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

I agree with your assertion about the relationship between righteousness and happiness. Could you support some of your general ideas with more specific examples or experiences?

mormongirl5of9 said...

The story was a good way to start. It's true that we must face opposition, but as stated in Philippians 4:13 we "can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth" us.

Rebekah said...

Good blog Kevin! I like how you mention that we have to learn through our own experiences which path to choose. And I also like how you talk about how hardships are not always bad things, we often learn a lot through hard days.

Unknown said...

Kevin, I liked your blog! I like how you talked about how we must learn through our experiences and find joy in them.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I liked the part about things always working out for your good "in time". Our problems won't go away immediately, we have to work at them. Thanks.

Stefan Leimer said...

I strongly agree with the point you're making. It's through adversity that we grow the most. Christ brings us low so he can raise us higher.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have learned the hard way. Wickedness never was happiness. It leads only to temporary pleasure and then overwhelming misery. But there can be a happiness, as you said, that encompasses us all around.

Brandon Hunsaker said...

I've found too that when we do work on problems and do all we can do the Lord does eventually lift it from our shoulders. It doesn't happen immediatly always, but as we put in the effort continuously the Lord does always answer our prayers.

Jin said...

I know that our Heavenly Father only wants best for us- His children. Most of the times, when I face trials, I struggle and make myself disappointed/frustrated at the situation. But after, when I overcome those trials, I relize that I grew and learned somethings. Righteouseness doesn't always seems right or easy to follow. However, I know that in the end, if we follow what is right, it will benefit us because the Father loves us so much.

Jmyrick said...

I love your post!
The story of little Jimmy brings back far too many memories, but it does teach a good lessen.
Good job.

Isaac Ferguson said...

I can really identify with how you mention that we do not always understand why things happen immediately, but in time everything makes sense. Sometimes it takes a little bit to see the bigger picture.

Alexa said...

I wish you would have explained one of your experiences you mentioned, but good job. I liked the story of Jimmy and the stove--it drew me in to your blog.

D-Weezy said...

I liked when you said hardships are not always a bad thing. I reminds me of the talk given by a general authority entitled the Tender Mercies of God. Great thoughts and organization. Thanks for your words.

Unknown said...

I love the simpleness of the story, yet it applies so well to the teachings in your blog. The principles of the gospel really are simple, but if we do not understand them at first, then we will get burned.

Danny G said...

I like how you say that we need to trust in the lord so that we do not have to always learn the hard way.