Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Defining "Rocks" of Our Salvation by Ashley Wilson


Why is the term “rock” used in the phrase “Rock of Salvation” and not something like boulder or mountain? First, I just don’t think it sounds as good as “rock” but I have also found some more logical reasons to answer this question. I like the usage of the word rock because it implies something that is hard, firm and unmovable which Jesus Christ definitely is for each and every one of us. Along with Christ being the Rock of our Salvation, I think this phrase describes what each of us share as Latter-Day Saints.

Now, if I think of the phrase “Rock of Salvation” in literal terms, I think about a couple of different kinds of rocks. One rock would be this mountain that absolutely no one can move or even attempt to move. Another would be this humongous rock that really can’t be moved without help. Finally, the last rock would be a small rock that anyone can lift and I think that all can apply to this phrase. The first “rock” mentioned was a mountain that can not be moved even if you tried your whole life to move it. To go along with this is a scripture found in Psalms 62:6 which states, “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.[1]” I love this just because the last part says “I shall not be moved.” I think this rock could be referring to multiple things. One thing this rock could be is our testimony. I think that once you get a testimony, even if it is shaky for quite some time, you will still always know that it is true. I have a family friend who is not active at all anymore but still knows that the gospel is true. She raised her kids with our values and had them go to girls’ camp and sometimes church because she wanted them to grow up with what she knows is true. This rock can also stand for families. They will be with you through thick and thin and you will be with them through all eternity.

The second rock mentioned is like a boulder. It can be moved, but only with the help of someone else. I think this rock refers to trust. I like the scripture in 2 Nephi 22:2 which says, “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.[2]” Trusting requires two people. You both have to be willing to trust one another that each person will do what they said they would do. Giving my full trust to someone is probably one of the hardest things for me to do. I’m such a perfectionist, so you can see why that would be hard for me. I used to have to do everything myself, but I quickly learned that that was not always the best. I learned I needed to really trust in the Lord last semester when I was in school at Salt Lake Community College. I knew that I had to do really well in all of my classes so that I would have a high enough GPA to transfer down here to BYU. Well, it got to the point where I would physically get sick every time I would have to take a test because I knew that a lot of stuff was riding on how well I did on the tests. On one of my last math tests, I was just a wreck. I had studied but still didn’t feel competent enough to get the grade I needed to get. I had an institute class right before my math class so I weighed my options. I could either skip institute and study more, or I could just leave it up to Christ. I had studied and done everything that I could and now was the time I really needed to put my trust in him. I decided to go to Institute and I ended up getting the highest grade I had ever gotten in that class the whole semester. It was a trial of faith and I’m glad I was able to put my trust in him and know he would help me out when needed. This experience is related to the experience that Limhi and his people had when they were in bondage to the Lamanites. They were counseled, “but if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage. [3]” The second rock can also relate to missionary work because you need to have faith and act upon it to bring the joy us Latter-Day Saints share, to others around us.

Lastly, the smallest rock is one that can be picked up and carried around, or picked up and thrown away. I think this rock is the one we have to be the most careful with. This rock is like the little things we should do everyday so as not to lose it. We should be reading our scriptures everyday, praying, serving others, etc. It’s interesting because even if some people have picked it up and just thrown it away, it’s still a part of them. They were still exposed to it. For example, everyone is my family was strong in the church the whole time I was growing up. Little by little, one of my sisters became less and less active. She finally came to the point where she was drinking and choosing to work on Sundays and really just did not care for the church. Because she had been exposed to the church all through her child and teen years, she finally came back to the church and is now getting ready to get married in the temple. If my family would have just forgot about trying to get her to go to church I’m not sure she’d be where she is right now. It’s the little things that really matter. As it says in Ether 12:27, “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”[4] We all want to have the weak things become strong and have the strong attributes we have to stay strong and by doing the things I shared above, we will all be able to accomplish that goal.

All of these “rocks” truly do resemble the things that Jesus Christ stood for and still stands for today. We all need to strengthen our own and others testimonies, trust in the Lord, and do the small and simple things that make a major impact on our lives. I’d like to end with the words from the hymn “Oh Thou Rock of Our Salvation.”
1. O thou Rock of our salvation,Jesus, Savior of the world,In our poor and lowly stationWe thy banner have unfurled.
[Chorus]Gather round the standard bearer;Gather round in strength of youth.Ev’ry day the prospect’s fairerWhile we’re battling for the truth.
2. We a war ’gainst sin are waging;We’re contending for the right.Ev’ry day the battle’s raging;Help us, Lord, to win the fight.
3. Onward, onward, we’ll be singingAs we’re marching firm and true,Each succeeding battle ringing,Earnest of what we can do.
4. When for all that we’ve contended,When the fight of faith we’ve won,When the strife and battle’s ended,And our labor here is done,
[Chorus after fourth verse]Then, O Rock of our salvation,Jesus, Savior of the world,Take us from our lowly station;Let our flag with thee be furled.
Text: Joseph L. Townsend, 1849–1942
Music: William Clayson, 1840–1887
Works Cited
[1] Psalms 62:6
[2] 2 Nephi 22:2
[3] Mosiah 7:33
[4] Ether 12:27
Hymn book, # 258

8 comments:

Daphna said...

Hey Ashley! Good job on your second post. I think you really did well in weaving scriptures into the points you wanted to make. I also liked the idea of the three rocks and how you kept going back to them. I also liked how personal you got in your blog. For some people, that is not easy, so I commend you on that.

Amanda S. said...

Ashley, you go really in-depth here, which I love. Why do you think a boulder represents trust? And what comments might you make about the hymn that you included? Why did you include it?

erin said...

I like how you compare members of the church to rocks. We are rocks since we are immovable in our faith.

Coleman said...

i really enjoyed your blog. it was very inspiring. i really loved how you compared each different sized rock to a necessity for us. amazing personal expeirences. good job.

Mrs. Samantha Howard said...

I also liked your personal experiences, especially the one where you put your trust in the Lord to help him with your test. And I'm happy that you and your family were able to help your sister come back to the gospel.

darajf said...

I really enjoyed this one! You showed tons of personality and original insight. I can so understand what you mean by the little rocks. As Alma says in Alma 37:6-7: "By little things are great things brought to pass." Thank you so much for showing enthusiasm for your topic!

mormongirl5of9 said...

I found it interesting how you described different "rocks". I also like the personal experiences you included. It's really interesting to look at things in such a different way.

Amy Jewkes said...

I enjoyed your insight into little rocks and how the little decisions we make each day influence our foundation upon christ.