Monday, November 24, 2008

With Every Part of Me by Valerie Nishiguchi


Ever since I was a little girl, I loved to act and sing, but I was painfully shy. I feared I looked funny or sounded strange or was just plain bad. Little by little I crept out of my shell and did more and more in public. I ventured out, for only brief moments or only part way. Just as I was about to shine fear took over. I was just too afraid. Now I can confidently sing in front of people, but every once in a while, that little girl in me comes out and fear seizes part of me and I don’t perform to my full potential. I’ve now come to a place where I can conscientiously leave the fear behind and perform with my whole body and soul. I’ve come to understand, as many performers have, that a song sung only halfway or a play acted only minimally, just looks awkward and is more embarrassing than leaving self-image behind and performing up and beyond. Just like performances done full out, look and feel much better and easier, it is much easier to give your whole soul to God, than only part.

I remember hearing someone comment once, that it is only when we do not give our whole souls to the Lord that it is difficult to obey the commandments. The minute we remove one foot from Babylon and plant it firmly in Zion, righteousness becomes infinitely easier. I cannot recall who said that, or even when or where it was, but those words have stayed with me a long time. When I find myself trudging along, just enduring, tired and burnt out, I remember those words and realize I am just making things harder on myself. I remember President Hinkley feeling burnt out too and the words his father wrote him, “Dear Gordon, I have your letter… I have only one suggestion: forget yourself and go to work.”[1] I put myself aside, knowing I can never be whole by myself and give myself to the Lord.

Remembering that it is only through God that we can be whole is a key factor for success. Throughout the New Testament we hear the Lord heal people saying the words, “Arise…thy faith hath made thee whole.”[2] The word “whole,” when taken back to its roots is cousins with words such as heal, complete, purify, vigorous and robust.[3] It’s no wonder Christ chose these profound words when healing people! Christ truly understood what it meant to be whole. Just like life is so much easy to carry out when you are in whole health, so is your spiritual life. Nephi too shared the importance of this concept. “And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not … worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.”[4] When you go to God with all your might, mind and strength, He will purify your body and soul and make thee whole.

Giving every part of you to Christ may seem like a very steep price. However, Christ did say, “He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.”[5] In this scripture He only mentioned giving up mortal life. What we really need to give up to be happy is our whole soul - both body and spirit. When Lehi had a vision and was filled with the spirit. “And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice, and his whole heart was filled, because of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him.[6] When we give our whole soul to the Lord, He blesses us more than we deserve; as Mosiah said, “If ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.”[7] The Lord will give unto us the desires of our heart and allow us to be His angels here on earth when we give him all of our soul.

I know that the Lord will magnify my small offering I have to give. In ways I am still a little girl, crawling out of my shell, trying so hard to give my all to the Lord, but somehow falling short. The Lord loves each one of us and wants us to perform to our full capacity. If we take a leap of faith and step into the sun, ready and willing to offer all we have, He will magnify it to be all it needs to be. I end with Omni’s beautiful words, “Come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him."[8] I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


[1] David F. Evans, “Your Mission Will Change Everything,” Liahona. May 2006, 32-34
[2] Luke 17:19
[3] LDS Scripture Reference CD
[4] 2 Nephi 25:29
[5] Matt 10:39
[6] 1 Nephi 1:15
[7] Mosiah 2:21
[8] Omni 1:26

9 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Valerie, great language insight from the concordance program! I also love your introduction and experience of singing in front of people. It's great that you've found a way to be able to share your talent!

Marci Robison said...

You did a great job on your blog. I appreciate the experiences that you have shared. I too have had struggles with performing in public. I realize now, that I am not the only one who struggles with it. Your experiences have made me resolve to try and rid myself of that fear. Thank you.

Sweet Baby Grace said...

Beautiful blog! I like how you began your blog with a personal experience. I as well have a hard time singing in public. Reading your blog has helped me with that problem and I realize I have nothing to fear. Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony:)

Joe Olson said...

Great blog. Its difficult to do anything in front of a lot of people but I loved your esample for getting over that fear. God gave us talents and we need to use them.

Kamrie said...

Wow you and I have a lot in common...Thank you for posting this blog and helping me look at myself in a different way.

D-Weezy said...

I really enjoyed your comment on if one foot is in Babylon, and one in Zion, it becomes impossible to serve the Lord with all our might mind and strength. Thanks for your words.

Natasha said...

I'm glad you "crept out of your shell". A very interesting blog. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Your voice is AMAZING! I wish I had that talent! Don't let anyone ever tell you different! I also loved your title. Good Job

S C Payne said...

I liked what you said about giving our whole souls to the Lord, and I realize the truth in that statement. We can't keep our feet on both sides of the line.