Monday, November 24, 2008

Firm Foundation Forever by Heidi McIntosh


                My most favorite primary song in the whole world was, and still is, “The Wise Man, and the Foolish Man.” Besides the awesome hand signs, which I’m sure influenced the importance of that song in my younger years, the song offers quite a message. It tells us how we should build our houses, or lives. We need to build it on a rock, the rock, Jesus Christ.

                We need to have a firm foundation of the truthfulness of the gospel so that we can be blessed in our lives and feel the guiding power of our Heavenly Father. Being firm in something means to be strong, stalwart, and steadfast. Hard times will come, we will be blown around, but we can find peace through a solid foundation. Jacob 3:1 states: “But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart.  Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.” Jacob teaches us to put our faith in our Father and he will help us through these trials.

 

                Sometimes we are just going through life and not knowing exactly what we are doing. We get nervous or anxious and aren’t quite sure what the Lord has in mind for us. Elder Russell M. Nelson reminded us that “Though we don’t know all things, we know that God lives and that He loves us.  Standing on that firm foundation, we can reach up and find strength to endure the heavy burdens of life.” Enduring to the end is one of the commandments the Lord has given us, and can easily be one of the more frustrating if we haven’t built our lives on the firmness of the gospel.  In Helaman 15:6 we learned that the people, “because of their firmness when they are once enlightened, behold, the Lord …bless[ed] them and prolong[ed] their days.” We need the blessings and we can receive them once we live our lives according to the firm foundation we have set.

 

                Just because we have built this foundation doesn’t mean that life is going to be easy. Elder Nelson also taught us that “Even firm foundations cannot prevent life’s problems.” As evidence by the primary song, the wise man also had a storm come, he was just able to withstand it. Jesus teaches this parable in 3 Nephi 14:24-25, “Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a rock—And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.”

                 I have learned in my life that when my life is more focused on the gospel and my feet are more firmly planted in the foundation I have set, I am more successful in overcoming challenges and trials. Mormon 9:28 teaches us to “be wise in the days of [our] probation; strip [ourselves] of all uncleanness; ask not, that ye may consume it on your lusts, but ask with a firmness unshaken, that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God.” If we pray to our God, he will help us get through this life successfully. He loves us and wants us to return to live with him.

                 The lord promises that if [we are] firm in keeping the commandments wherewith [he has] commanded [us]; and if [we] do this, behold [he will] grant unto [us] eternal life.” (Doctrine and Covenants 5:22) I believe this to be true. I know that the Lord has provided a way for us to obtain this eternal life and that if we just follow the way he has set before us by standing firm in that foundation, we can achieve it. He has promised us, and is bound by that.

  

The Standard Works

Children’s Songbook – #281

 “How Firm our Foundation.” Elder Russell M. Nelson. Ensign. May 2002.

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

The graphic you choose evokes a child's joy in her favorite Primary song. Where did you find it? Thank you for reminding us that the Lord is our rock and will help us be firm in our minds.

Brittney White said...

I love the picture :)
You had some good insights and I enjoyed reading your blog.

Daphna said...

I liked how you emphasized the fact that even those with a firm foundation have storms come down on them. I think we think that if we do good things, we will never get rain and only sunshine but that sentiment is false. Good post.

Jenni Perkins said...

I love your picture! I like the quotation, "Even firm foundations cannot prevent life’s problems." It reminds me to stay strong even in adversity.

Roy Tialavea said...

How firm a blogger. Great job. I liked how you recognized that even though there is a firm foundation that storms can still affect you.

Roy Tialavea said...

How firm a blogger. Great job. I liked how you recognized that even though there is a firm foundation that storms can still affect you.

D-Weezy said...

What you said about when you personally set yourself in a firm foundation that you feel more successful is such a true statement. Thanks

jessie kay said...

I love the photo at the beginning! It made me want to sing the song! ha ha.. Nice message.. SO true. =]

jackie said...

Great blog! I love the paragraph about that even though we may have a firm foundation, it doesn't mean our trials will be eliminated. Great point and good job!

Chelsey Porter said...

I love the graphic you used with your blog it relates perfect! I love how you pointed out that sometimes we are just going through this life feeling very inadequate and that we don't know much but that there are truths that we will always know such as the love our Heavenly Father has for us that will help guide us back to where we need to be. Good job :)

Natasha said...

You surely have a firm foundation! Thank you for your blog. It helped me better understand that our Savior is our Rock.

S C Payne said...

I totally agree with you; enduring to the end is the hardest commandment there is. I'm not one to persist, I'd rather be totally righteous in one short burst than constantly have to remember evry single day.