Monday, November 24, 2008

One Truth by Dara Farnsworth


“And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come.”[1] On the surface, this definition of truth may seem rather obvious. In order for something to be true, it must have facts or elements that did happen or can happen. But in a world where facts, particularly scientific ones, are being challenged, and events in history are being re-evaluated for legitimacy or proof of occurrence, in this world we live in, many great and eternal truths have been lost. For instance, people seem to be tackling the institution of family, rationalizing away the facts that union of persons must be between two individuals capable of reproduction and that children benefit the most psychologically from two parents of different sexes in the home. Likewise many diets have come into existence—like the Atkins diet—that almost entirely exclude carbohydrates and promote the unhealthy consumption of meat. Many more “plain and precious truths” have vanished from our society so much so that many people do not even realize that they are missing, that some fundamentals to good living are buried and suffocated beneath the weight of sin.
Now, after discussing briefly what is not true, the question posed is, “What is true?” Our loving Heavenly Father has prolifically woven the answer into the scriptures, nearly every chapter in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants; the ultimate truth of our existence, as defined by Alma the Younger, is Christ: “I say unto you, that I know of myself whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.”[2] In my American Heritage class this semester, Professor Holland has shown us the Founding of America, the progression of the American nation economically, socially, and morally, and what I’ve found is that societies may change drastically, the economy may plunder to the ground, and the entire country’s ethics may be entirely opposite to those of the Lord’s. What was once considered a liberation of self in the 1960’s was merely an excuse to pander to the natural man; what was once called “separate but equal” was a cover for violence and degradation; what the American people deems as justice and equality for homosexuals is an eloquent way of destroying the honor and credibility of this country. Man may change, but the one truth that Latter Day Saints can hold fast to through all of that malleable nonsense is the immutable nature of our Savior Jesus Christ, on whom we depend for hope and happiness.
So now we know who the truth is, but how do we obtain it and cling to it? The simple response is through the Spirit of God, the being who communicates with our spirits “that we are the children of God.”[3] The same scripture missionaries use to get investigators on their knees and in search of truth can more eloquently state what I mean than I can:
“4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
6 And whatsoever thing is good is just and true; wherefore, nothing that is good denieth the Christ, but acknowledgeth that he is.”[4] This scripture reminds me of Joseph Smith and how people would comment that he was tutored by angles and taught by God. We too, when we ask for the spirit to be with us, can be instructed by God Himself almost learning as Mary did at the feet of our wise instructor. The great majority of my life I have spent without the opportunity for prayer in school, without the blessing of inviting the Spirit to come and teach me in my classrooms. I thought it no unusual misfortune to be without pray before class all throughout my life. Now, after coming to BYU, however, and feeling the sweetness of the Spirit instructing me and teaching me of truth in class, I cannot imagine learning without that companionship. I sincerely appreciate all of my professors who engage in the practice, for the Spirit surely can increase my fractured understanding.
After gaining a witness of the Spirit of the truth, of Christ, what happens next? Yes, the opportunity for increased knowledge and understanding will follow after we’ve discovered this truth, but how do we use this truth? It cannot be good for just warm and fuzzy feelings. Let’s look to the scriptures for some tutoring, shall we? For nearly every prophet that has traveled the land of this earth, the testimony and witness comes, and then immediately they wish to publish this truth: “And thus they were instruments in the hands of God in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, to the knowledge of their Redeemer.”[5] The first impulse after acquiring truth is to share it with our fellow men, to run about rejoicing and declaring it to those who were living without is for far too long. I once heard from one of my Sunday school teachers, whose name escapes me at the moment, that the act of proclamation is one of the greatest distinctions between the saints of the church and prophets. Once men like Alma, Lehi, Enos, and the list could go on, have found Christ and have been cleansed from their sins, the look about and tell their brethren the good news that Christ has won the fight over evil. I think of the many missionaries of this church preaching the word of the Lord with enthusiasm, bringing great light to the world, and I marvel at the wondrous truth of the gospel. That so many young men and women will devote years to the spreading of the word is a testimony to me that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the truth, and that it can be found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
The truth is a dear topic to me. In this world where precious sons and daughters of the director of the cosmos are wallowing in lies, completely overshadowed by the “cunning plan of the evil one”[7], the truth is scarce. It is something to be diligently sought after. I am a huge fan of movies, and I quote them all the time. This line from “One Night with the King,” which is the story of Ester, succinctly describes my feelings of truth: “It is the Glory of God to conceal a matter, and the honor of Kings to search it out.” We are all sons and daughters of a King, therefore it is our obligation to search out the truth and share it with others who are having trouble finding it. It is our duty to find Christ and to bring the knowledge of His eternal and perfect love to our brothers and sisters. I so believe in the sacred name of Jesus Christ. Amen.





[1] D&C 93:24
[2]Alma 5:48
[3] Romans 8:16
[4] Moroni 10:4-6
[5] Mosiah27:36
[6]Mosiah 27:32
[7] 2 Nephi 9:28

10 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Dara, this is beautifully written! Did you find any quotations that may support your ideas? It's not necessary, but may be a great addition!

Marci Robison said...

WOW. There is so much truth in your blog (I know, state the obvious). This was very well written and you made me think about things that I never thought about before. This was very inspiring and I greatly appreciate that you took the time to write your thoughts on this subject to enlighten us all. Thank you.

Daphna said...

I have never thought about how all the new diet fads that come out are going against the Word of Wisdom. Thank you for illuminating that for me, I really like that I learned something new.

Joe Olson said...

I loved your blog it was very interesting. I totally agree that you have a lot of truth in this blog very fitting title.

D-Weezy said...

Like Daphna, I never thought of diets being against the word of wisdom. You are clearly a wise human being. Thanks for enlightening all of us.

Kamrie said...

I agreed and related to alot from your blog. Good job.

Chelsey Porter said...

You are an amazing writer good job! I really liked the qoute from the movie you used in the end it inspires me to seek out the truth in everything and let that truth radiate from me.

Natasha said...

Dara, my roommate. A very inspirational blog. I'm glad that I get to feel of your great worth all the time. I love you. Your blog is simply beautiful and perfect. That is the TRUTH:)

Unknown said...

Good job! I love how you went into the same sex marriage issue and also the fad diets (Adkins)and then asked well what is truth then? Loved it

S C Payne said...

One of the main topics in my american heritage class has been man's search for truth. We seek it constantly, but there are always cheap knock-offs and perversions placed in our way by Satan, like the ones you mentioned.