Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Change of Heart: A Trust in God by Kamrie Sherman

I remember the instance, I recall the instance, and I still this day reflect upon the instance that put me in a circumstance to test and see how much I knew that my Heavenly Father loves me. I was sixteen and I was struggling with myself at the time. I found it difficult to stay on top of my daily tasks and did not continue much with my social life with my friends. This time in my life filled my mind with doubts about myself and what direction I was heading towards. I began to loose hope and just believed that I would get through it without Heavenly Father's help. It was not until later in my life when it all made sense to me. I was clouded by evil temptations and figured out that I needed the Lord's help so I decided to turn to Him. I prayed that he would bless me and help me to overcome this trial that I was facing. Because of my sincere prayer, I truely believe that Heavenly Father knew the intense desire I had to change so He blessed me. With Him helping me get through my later high school years, my heart has changed in a great respect.

Alma the prophet is a wonderful example of how much we can be blessed if we have a mighty change of heart. Times can be rough and often seem impossible to face if we do not have that mighty change of heart. An example of how a mighty change of heart can occur, is in Alma chapter five. The people in the villages and cities "were in the midst of darkness...encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell."(1) With Heavenly Father on Alma's side, Alma was able to preach the words of God in such a beautiful way such that the people's faith grew in Christ. Alma reminded the people that his father and the peoples' fathers had "faith and accordingly had a mighty change of heart...and put their trust in the true and living God."(2,3) In other words we should not doubt whether God will help us or be there for us. We need to remember to have faith and remember the Savior and how much he can help us.

So how does Alma's example help us to have a mighty change of heart or what does it mean to have a change of heart? The heart symbolizes the center of our desires and affections. The natural man, most likely, is likely to have these desires and affections centered in the affections and pleasures of the world. We has members can be "men of Christ turning our back on the things of the world and seeking for the things of God."(4) This represents a thought given by Ezra Taft Benson that states "The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."(5) I love this because it is like saying the Lord works from the inside out and the world works from the outside in.

We can have a change of heart and be born again by"fasting and praying to know that these things are true."(6) Like the scriptures say, the Holy Spirit of God will testify and help those who are willing to have a change of heart. Because of Alma's change of heart, we learn from his testimony that he gives saying "I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth." (7)His change of heart was such a huge impact on the future generations.

I like to bear my testimony that I know that Alma was a prophet who had a mighty change of heart from becoming a follower of a wicked king to a follower of the perfect, loving king, Jesus Christ. Being truly converted can help us keep ourselves on the straight and narrow path by letting us rely on God and trusting him at all times. I know from my experience, that having a mighty change of heart can bless your life and others around you, because the Light of Christ can shine brighter. I love this gospel and all that it has done for me and I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.





Works Cited:

1.Alma 5:7

2.Alma 5:12

3.Alma 5:13

4. Book of Mormon Student Manuel pg. 73

5. Ezra Taft Benson. Ensign 1985, pg.6

6.Alma 5:46

7.Alam 5:48

7 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Kamrie, I love how you use your personal experience and then Alma's experience as a model for conversion. Sometimes a change of heart is not what it appears to be.

Marci Robison said...

I really like the picture that you included. It is unique and very peaceful. I did notice, however, that there were a couple errors that you may want to look at. I am touched by the things that you have said and I thank you for taking the time to put them in this blog.

Joe Olson said...

A very touching personal experience. I think a lot of people can relate to that I know i can. You can't shut heavenly father out, you won't go anywhere but backwards.

jessie kay said...

Hey Kamrie. How are ya girl? Thanks for putting that personal experience in your blog. It really made it powerful and impacted me. Great job. =]

jackie said...

Kamrie, your opening paragraph grabbed and kept my attention! Awesome personal experience, it gave your blog a special feeling. Thanks!

Valerie said...

I really understand what you mean in your first paragraph. I too have felt that way and it truly is the light of Christ that comes in and saves us. Thank you for the reminder of the change of heart that can occur.

Chelsey Porter said...

Kamrie we did it we survived the semester woot woot!! Your blog was amazing! I loved it! I like how you realized that you weren't happy and that something needed to be changed. Good job :)