Monday, November 24, 2008

3 Easy Ways to Stay Firm by Kevin Allen
We live in a world full of temptation and sin waiting to grab a hold of us at any corner, at any time. The prophets have proclaimed that this generation lives in times far worse then any other generation that ever stepped foot on Earth. The Devil has become more powerful the ever before. How are we supposed to combat this horrible power? “Now this was the faith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are firm, and they do put their trust in God continually.” [1] There are many little tricks, along with faith in God, that can help combat that. Here are three things I have utilized to keep me on the straight and narrow.

The first thing that you can do when you are confronted with temptation is singing a happy song or a hymn. Isaiah proclaims, “Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.” [2] Singing a song is like taking a cloth and whipping the dust on the television to make the image clearer. A song will immediately dispel any dirtiness and bring in happiness. Whenever I feel a depressing or bad thought coming to my mind, I immediately begin to sing “Praise to the Man” of one of my other favorite songs and I am filled with happiness.

Another trick that I utilize to combat evil is look at funny pictures from this site I found while enduring a stressful month during summer term this year. Whenever I get frustrated or sad, I would pull up a picture and laugh away my sorrow. Mosiah has learned the benefits of being happy. “…I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness.” [3] When I am happy, I am able to do my assignments with ease and retain information from them. Plus, who wants to be miserable all the time? Not me!

Finally, doing little acts of kindness when presented with hardship takes your mind off of the bad. Go out and look for any opportunity to help someone, whether it is saying a complement to everyone you walk by or helping someone with a problem. Service not only benefits the others but it also benefits God. “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” [4] Knowing that you are not only serving a friend, but also serving God is the ultimate double-whammy possible. To know that always brightens my day.

“Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.” [5] We must be firm in our convictions and not let Satan’s attempts to knock us off the path succeed. By doing these little things, you can develop a stronger resistance and ward of evil. I know that Satan is out to get us, but if we do not give in to his ways, then we will be much happier.

Works Cited
[1] (Alma 57:27)
[2] (Isaiah 49:13)
[3] (Mosiah 2:41)
[4] (Mosiah 2:17)
[5] (Jacob 3:1)

11 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

I like the three organizing points. What do you mean by looking at funny pictures on this site? Could you choose a title?

Daphna said...

This probably was not your intention but the title of your blog made me laugh because it sounded like your post was going to be about exercise! I also like the idea of complimenting everyone you see around you, although that would be a little hard considering the amount of people around us!

Joe Olson said...

I really liked your blog. I like a plan like that and acutally Praise to the Man is my favorite hymn to sing to. I can't agree with you anymore on service. Making someone smile is so rewarding.

Kamrie said...

I like how you mentioned that a way to stay firm is by serving our friends because we are serving our friends as well as God.

D-Weezy said...

Doing service for others is a great way to avoid temptation and to get a more positive outlook on things. Great job.

jessie kay said...

Ha ha! I absolutely loved the whole feel of your blog. It was lighthearted and fun and I really enjoyed it. I especially agree with singing songs when faced with tough choices or trials.. I often sing, "OH rise and shine and give God the glory, glory.. Rise and Shine.." =]

Chelsey Porter said...

I really liked your blog a lot! After reading your blog I decided there is never a reason for me to be sad I can always do something to make myself happier.

Savanna Stradling Bassett said...

I loved your 3rd step. Serving others is truly important! And it helps us so much in many ways! I love the end when you tell the audiende to never gove in! It is powerful especially at the end. Thank you for your experiences and your dtrong testimony!

Natasha said...

Good three step process. Now I know what I should do. I enjoyed the second one about the funny pictures. Nice

Unknown said...

I like how you used three ways that have helped you in staying firm in the gospel.

S C Payne said...

Your three-part plan is an excellent way to stay firm. It's funny how we are taught these simple things as children, but we, or at least I, always forget to use them when I need them most.