Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trees in our "Happy Place"

In my class one day, we did a relaxation exercise. The teacher told us to go to our “happy place.” The one that seemed the most universal and the one that she used for the exercise was on a beach with the warm sand, the sea breeze, the waves beating against the shore, and the sun beating down on you. Being a fair-skinned red-head, this did not sound very relaxing as only images of lobster red sunburns came to mind. Instead my mind travelled inland to the mountains. Instead of sand, there was grass; a mountain breeze instead of a sea breeze; a stream instead of waves; and most importantly, a tree instead of the sun. Trees have always been very relaxing to me. They’re so inviting yet they seem to hold a secret. They’re majestic and persevering, withstanding the weather and elements. But most of all, they’re beautiful and a sign of the love of our Father who spent time to make this wonderful world for us.

Trees are used in parables and lessons throughout the scriptures. One of great note in the Book of Mormon is that of the Tree of Life in Lehi’s dream. In 1 Nephi 11:22, Nephi is shown the meaning of this tree. “…Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore it is the most desirable above all things.” This tree, as I believe all trees do, represents the love that Heavenly Father is willing and ready to offer us. They are so beautiful because God’s love is the most desirable thing that can be sought after. If we will only reach for this tree, constantly striving towards it by following the iron rod, which is the word of God, we can achieve eternal happiness.

The tree of life in Lehi’s dream is not the only one found in the scriptures. Adam and Eve encountered the tree of life in their time in the Garden of Eden. In Genesis 2:9 it is written that “…out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.” God had to create opposition in all things otherwise there would have been no agency which would go against His eternal plan. The Tree of Life had little purpose in the garden because it was meant to bring us unto God. In the garden, they were already in God’s presence. Adam and Eve had to partake of the tree of knowledge in order for us to have the chance to partake of the tree of life. Without this transgression, we would not be here in our mortal existence and the plan would be stopped. This is yet another example of God’s love for us that he would prepare a way for us to return to Him.

Through God’s love we can achieve eternal life. Our purpose is to be tried and tested so that we can reach an exalted state. In Genesis 3:22 the Lord said, “…Behold, the man is become as one of us [the Godhead], to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.” Our worthiness of this great gift must be tested through “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith #3) by which we can be led again to the tree of life and past the “cherubim and a [his] flaming sword” (Alma 12:21). Here at BYU, I have encountered very different trials to my faith than I have previously experienced. Being away from the strength and protection of my family has been difficult and I often feel lonely. Everything now depends on me and me alone. Everything seems to come crashing down all at once and things I’ve never thought about before are constantly pressing on my mind. I know that life is not always the easiest but I know that God has promised us an exalted life like His own if we will only endure to the end and prove ourselves worthy in this life.

My “happy place” exists beside a tree --mostly for the shade it brings--but all of us should strive for that ultimate happy place, in the presence of our Father who loves us, which also has a tree in it—one that “is the most desirable above all things.” Though life is full of distractions and tribulations, if we can keep our focus on that “happy place” we can make it there someday. “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God” (Revelation 2:7).


Works Cited:
The Book of Mormon--(1 Nephi and Alma)
The Holy Bible--(Genesis and Revelation)
Article of Faith

7 comments:

Amanda S. said...

I love the imagery you utilize in this piece. It's beautiful. For future blogs, try breaking up your paragraphs a little more and determining one main idea for each.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I am also a Mountain & Trees girl, although I do love the sound of the ocean waves on Carmel River beach or in San Diego. If you come to our office at 4073 JFSB, we can teach you how to put in the paragraph breaks.

BoM Baller said...

I'm a very visual person...the imagery in your first paragraph sucked me in and the rest was history. Great job.

R. Cameron Green said...

Being from the green and rainy Oregon, it is always raining in my happy place, and there are always lots of trees. I was able to connect with the idea you were presenting with ease (just add a little rain-its relaxing to me)

Kevinsa said...

I loved your imagery. I learned to love nature after moving from Virginia to Las Vegas. Definetly two totally different types of nature. I liked your essay.

Hi'ilei Barrows said...

i have the same happy place. the beach isnt as special to me as it is to others, even though i live on an island.

D-Weezy said...

I like the whole happy place idea. Reminds me of the sacred grove. I like how you shared your story about your happy place. Thanks for your words.