Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Faith And Works

"Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." [1] Faith is marvelous in that it is universally understood, but can only be developed on a personal level. "Faith is like a little seed; If planted it will grow." [2] I have participated in many wonderful opportunities where I have been able to develop my faith. It started simple, like a seed, and slowly developed until it was strong like a tree. Faith alone, will not benefit an individual in this life on earth. We must each develop our faith and act on it. In order for us to develop in any spiritual manner, we must engage faith.
We develop faith as young children. Upon being raised in the gospel, they see how to practice faith through the examples of their parents. They begin to believe, but cannot truly know without action on that faith. They learn songs which assist them in knowing how to develop their faith. "Search, ponder, and pray are the things that I must do." [3] This commonly sung line portrays the idea that we must take action and question our beliefs to know of the truth. In order to develop spiritually, we need to follow the advice that states "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."[4] In following this advice, I was given opportunities to have the Spirit testify to me of the truthfulness of the gospel.
After we have sought the truth and have had it testified unto us, we must continue to build ourselves through acting on that knowledge. One important form of such works is living as an example. We are encouraged to uplift others through good works in order to more fully understand the gospel. We are taught that we will be judged and rewarded according to these works. "For they shall be judged according to their works, and every man shall receive according to his own works, his own dominion, in the mansions which are prepared."[5] We also learn the importance of learning God's will and practicing it. "The great task of life is to learn the will of the Lord and then do it."[6] I know I am blessed each time I learn about and obey the will of the Lord.
One important way to practice our faith is to be an example to those around us. No matter where you are, someone is always watching. I have had personal experience with this. When reading my yearbook, friends commented on how much they enjoyed being around me, because of my example. One especially appreciated the lack of profanity in my conversations with her. I never really thought that people would take notice of such actions, but they always did and I am glad that I upheld the Lord's standards. We have been told that "...faithful works and words contribute significantly to the building of this, the kingdom of God." [7] Another way to practice faith is through service. When I serve those around me, I feel a greater appreciation for the blessings I have been given. "When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves!" [8] We can come to understand our true nature when we practice our faith through service.
When we combine faith and works, we are greatly blessed. The Lord has told us of some of these blessings. "...for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." [9] He has taught us that, when we are obedient, He will strengthen us so that we may prosper. We have all had such humbling experiences. I have undergone such experiences recently, where I was humbled. When I turned to the Lord, He built me up and allowed me to accomplish the difficult tasks that I had before me. We have also been taught that "...he that diligently seeketh shall find..." [10] When we struggle to know of the truth, He will help us come to that knowledge if we ask Him. I know that when I follow the council of the Lord and when I build on faith and action, I am greatly blessed.

1. Alma 32:21
2. Faith, Children's Songbook p.96
3. Search, Ponder, and Pray, Children's Songbook p.109
4. Matthew 7:7
5. Doctrine and Covenants 76:111
6. Ezra Taft Benson
7. Virginia U. Jensen, Ensign November 2000
8. Spencer W. Kimball
9. Ether 12:27
10. 1 Nephi 10:19

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Great job! I really liked how you combined faith with works and focused on how faith is dead without action. I really enjoyed the scriptures, music, and quotes that you used. You did way good!

R. Cameron Green said...

Faith is such an extensive topic that it can sometimes become overbearing, but i really enjoyed how thoroughly you utilized scriptures to validate your points. It read very successfully

Hi'ilei Barrows said...

someone is always watching our actions so its always best to be doing what the Lord wants us to. by trusting the Lord we will be blessed. good job.

D-Weezy said...

I really liked what you said about taking action and questioning our beliefs to know the truth. Great knowledge on the topic and really nice sources too. I enjoyed the post a lot.