Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Learning by Daphna Zohar

Learning

Any learning is beneficial. One of the reasons Heavenly Father sent us to this planet was to learn. In Alma 32:12, it states, “it is necessary that ye should learn wisdom.” However, the learning that we mortals must achieve should be both secular and spiritual. In 2 Nephi 9:29, it reads, “but to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.” Not only should we strive to reach our highest possible education through colleges, trade and/or graduate school, we should make a goal to read the scriptures studiously and attend all Sunday School meetings. In addition, we should try to go to institution.

Secondly, learning should be lifelong. Elder Boyd K. Packer wrote in an Ensign issue that, “education continues as long as we live. If there is ever an end to secular learning, surely there is no end to spiritual learning.” I agree with that statement because when we cease to learn, we cease to grow. Life is all about learning to be the best you can be, and we should never stop. One of the aims of a BYU education is “lifelong learning”. Even though a university education may only last four years, students should continue that habit and keep learning for the rest of their existence in this world. Even during the summer breaks during high school, I always strove to keep my brain stimulated by completing workbooks and visiting the library quite often. Even though I was not forced to do the workbooks or read like you are forced to complete assignments during school, I felt that it would only help me. Plus I was always very bored during the summer.

However, there is one thing to keep in mind during your quest of lifelong learning: one should never become stuck up just because one is learned. In 2 Nephi 28:15, it states, “O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts…wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!” One of the sisters in my home ward was already a grandmother for a while when she decided to go back to university. Unfortunately, she also stopped coming to church. Someone confided in me that she felt she did not need to go to church any longer. This is an incorrect notion. No matter how much education you receive, you always need the gospel in your life. There is always room for the gospel in your life.

Learning can be found in numerous places, but Jesus Christ should be our number one source. In Alma 38:9, it reads, “And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and light of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness.” I know that it is through Christ that everyone can know the right path to take and the right decisions to make.

After Joseph Smith read James 1:5, “if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him”, Joseph Smith found a quiet place in the woods and “ask[ed] of God” for truth. We should follow Joseph Smith’s example. Whenever we learn something that we are not sure of, or just whenever we want a listening ear, we should pray to our Heavenly Father to learn of the truth. For example, I got locked out of my apartment yesterday. The first thing that I remember doing was praying to God that my roommate would return speedily. I resigned myself to wait on the steps and read some catalogues that came into the mail. Pretty soon I heard the clicking and clacking of my roommate’s bicycle as she brought it up the stairs. Later, I thanked Heavenly Father for the speedy aid. I know that whenever we need any guidance, help, or understanding, all one has to do is ask of God.

Sources:
-Boyd K. Packer, “‘To Be Learned Is Good If …’,” Ensign, Nov 1992, 71
-Book of Mormon
-Aims of a BYU Education, http://unicomm.byu.edu/president/aim4.aspx

Scriptures:
2 Nephi 9:29
2 Nephi 28:15
James 1:5
Alma 32:12
Alma 38:9

8 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Great recognition that we can do learning every day and addition of your own personal experiences and testimony. It seemed like your essay jumped around a little bit, perhaps you could tie the elements together more by having a sentence in each paragraph that relates to a thesis rather than the broad topic of learning in general.

Cynthia Hallen said...

The concise personal examples you provided anchored your points very well. I can just see you reading books and doing workbook exercises voluntarily to keep your mind active in the summer. The warning of the Sister who went back to school but stopped coming to Church is important to hear. And I am glad that you recognize the author of all knowledge as you seek help for problems in daily life.

Unknown said...

Hey! I really liked the quotes that you shared by Elder Packer. Education is one topic that can't be stressed enough and I loved your thoughts on it. :-)

Christie Beck said...

I really liked your point about being a lifelong learner. It's so important to continue to learn so that we can improve ourselves and the world around us.

BoM Baller said...

Although it didn't quite follow the outline of your opening paragraph, your logic flowed perfectly. You brought some great insights and quotes.

Jamie said...

I really like when you said, "when you cease to learn, you cease to grow." This is such a true and powerful statement. If I want to continue to grow to become more like my Father in Heaven, then I need to find every opportunity where I can continue to learn as well. Great job on your essay!!

Kevinsa said...

Learning is a life long event, if we quit doing so then it is like quitting becoming like God. I really enjoyed your post.

D-Weezy said...

I like how you said that we can learn from our everyday lives and experiences. I also like the short personal stories you shared too. Great blog.