Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Faith - Andrew Lutes

Merriam-Webster defines faith as: firm belief in something for which there is no proof (1). Indeed, we may find while reading the Book of Mormon that the prophet, Alma, teaches much about faith. He makes mention of how “faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true” (Alma 32: 21).

By taking these two definitions we can see how faith helps us to understand the principles of the gospel. It is said that a church member can not truly know of these things if they are true. It is on this belief that most skeptics and critics of the church base their complaints. This is also why they will never truly understand the gospel. Their hearts are hardened to the teachings of the spirit and so they can not learn by faith.

We are told by Moroni that if we “would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost” (Moroni 10: 4). The key principle in this scripture is faith.

Faith is the way we can understand all things. By praying to God with a strong belief that we will receive an answer, our hearts will be softened, and our minds will be opened to the spirit. “[God] will tell [us] in [our] minds and in [our] hearts, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon [us] and which shall dwell in [our] hearts” (D&C 8: 2).

After studying the scriptures and gaining a knowledge, by faith, for ourselves of the truthfulness of the words contained therein we can begin to see how faith has worked in the lives of billions, both in the present day and in the past. We find that Nephi, pleading unto the Lord in faith, has his prayer answered and receives knowledge of the things which his father saw in a vision (1 Nephi 10).

Faith is the means by which I know I can endure all things. By having faith in my redeemer, Jesus Christ, and in the plan of salvation I know that my sins will be forgiven. No matter how often I mess up, if I diligently turn to the Lord and ask forgiveness and for help in overcoming my trials I have the ability to become more like Christ.

Moroni gives us this insight: “And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise” (Moroni 7: 41). This hope is real and we can obtain eternal life. Through faith and obedience to the word of God and the counsel of our prophets. Gordon B. Hinckley once said: “I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight” (3).




Scriptural References:
1.Alma 32: 21
2.Moroni 10: 4
3.D&C 8: 2
4.1 Nephi 10
5.Moroni 7: 41

Sources:
(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith
(2) http://scriptures.lds.org/
(3) Gordon B. Hinckley, “Words of the Prophet: The Spirit of Optimism,” New Era, Jul 2001, 4
(4) The Standard Works

6 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

I like the clarity and simplicity of your essay. I can follow the point of each paragraph. Your explanation of faith sounds fresh and insightful, even though the topic is a popular one. I like the way that you ended with specific counsel from President Hinckley.

BoM Baller said...

I read the title "Faith" and my mind said, "NOOOOOO!!!" But despite there being a million other blogs on Faith, yours was still brand new and very thoughtful. It was very clear, concise, and simple. I have a simple mind so I enjoyed that!

Valene said...

I liked the different angles you took with your essay. I would have liked some more commentary to develop your ideas but it was well supported with good quotes.

R. Cameron Green said...

I was struck the most significantly when you said: "Faith is the means by which I know I can endure all things." That is a powerfully true statement.

Hi'ilei Barrows said...

good information. i wish u had a more personal experience to share and enhance your connection with faith but well done.

D-Weezy said...

I love the scripture you shared from moroni. Moroni's promise is such a great scripture with one of the most important promises. Thanks for your testimony and for your clear and thought out points.