Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blog 1

Savanna Stradling
Cynthia Hallen
REL A 121
9-24-08
Blog 1
"But mom, I don't want to go," I replied to my mother while on our way to my weekly piano lessons. She replied as always in the kind gentle way of, "you are going so it would be better if you just made the best of it." I strongly disliked going to pliano lessons week after week, but my wonderful mother always managed to get me there in one way or another which taught many various lessons. I learned to play the piano, as well as many things that effected me later in my life. Learning deals greatly with attitude, learning in and out of an educational environment as well as being taught and becoming teachers.

Attitude effects everything. In school, I had many friends who strongly disliked being there, as opposed to many friends who loved being at school. The friends who wanted to be there seemed to do better in their classes than the friends who didn't want to be there. Their attitude changed it all. I know that when I have a good attitude about learning in school, I learn more, have fun, and retain the information I have been taught. I love to learn new things. It puts a sort of "fire" in my bones with a desire and inspiration to be better, and to change to world for good. "And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed." (D&C 1:26) Our whole purpose here in this life is to learn to be like Jesus Christ in all that we do. We should never stop learning, it is a life long process to learn all that we possibly can in all aspects of life. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know, therefore we can and should never stop learning.

Attending school in my hometown high school was very different than a regular school. I was home schooled for many years and then attended a small charter school to finish my high school education. Throughout this time, I had the opportunity to become very close to my teachers and learn from them personally. Most people dislike attending school and learning, however I have come to realize that there are so many people in this world who don't have the advantage and opportunity to learn at all. Even thought I love to learn and love being educated, thinking about education in this aspect makes me very greatful for the oportunity that I have. I once watched a movie about the slaves many years ago, and how they desired to learn to read and write with all of their heart and did what they could to teach themselves and to grow in that aspect of knowledge to become successful in this life. I have a great opportunity to attend Brigham Young University which is a huge blessing that I never thought would come my way. I am determined to make my experience beneficial in every way. Education plays a major role in success society today. "And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much more advantage in the world to come." (D&C 130: 19) Learning can be difficult but I have come to find that the more we learn, the more successful we will be in this life and in the life to come, because all the knowledge that we gain in this life will be retained over into the next life. This gives me a strong desire to become as educated as possible now in my everyday life, to work my hardest and achieve great things through learning from myself as well as others.

"Teach me to walk in the light of His love; teach me to pray to my Father above; Teach me to know of the things that are right; Teach me, teach me, to walk in the light." One of the best ways to learn is to teach. I remember many times in my high school career when my teacher would give us material to teach the class. As a result, I would learn much more than if they had taught me in the first place. I always find it so interesting how that seems to happen every time we teach whether it be in school or at church or in the home. Teachers are gifted people sent from heaven. It takes a great amount of patience and knowledge to be a teacher. "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man and he will increase in learning." (Proverbs 9: 9) We should all be teachers but at the same time we should still willing to learn new things. I know a wonderful hymn with some inspirational lyrics, it is called Help Me Teach with Inspiration. It reads, "Help me teach with inspiration; Grant this blessing, Lord I pray. Help me lift a soul's ambition To a Higher, nobler way. Help me reach a friend in darkness; Help me guide him through the night. Help me show thy path to glory By the spirits holy light. Fill my mind with understanding; Tune my voice to echo Thine. Touch my hand with gentle friendship; warm my heart with love divine. Help me find thy lambs who wander; help me bring them to thy keep. Teach me, Lord, to be a sheperd; Father, help me feed thy sheep." I think that we also need to be willing to accept advice from others who are trying to help us. "For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth." (Proverbs 3: 12) I was recently a member of a performing group in Mesa, Arizona. When we learned new dances, it made it so much easier when other members could accept the things they were doing differently and become one with the group. I like when others try to help me become better because it is for my benefit that they are trying to help me grow. If we can humble ourselves enough to accept the things we may be doing wrong, we will learn to become more Christlike, for that is what He would do, and that is our ultimate goal here on earth. To be more Christlike, we have to listen to the Holy Ghost and through him we will learn what the Lord wants us and would have us to do. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Matt 11: 29)

Learning is a great opportunity that we have been given. Satan's plan was to force us to do everything correct and have a perfect knowledge of everything, whereas the Lord's plan gives us the agency to choose to learn and grow from our own experiences. It can be a difficult thing to accomplish, but I know that if we put the Lord first in all that we do, everything else will somehow seem to fall into place. It is the Lord's hand that guides us through to lead us back to Him. I love to learn and hope to further my education in all that I do and to continue learning past the day that I die. Each morning is the start of a new day when we can say "what will I learn today?" If what we have learned today is no more than yesterday, we have not gotten much accomplished. "Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday."


Sources Cited:
The Holy Bible (King James Version)
The Book of Mormon
The Doctrine and Covenants
LDS Hymns

9 comments:

Marci Robison said...

Savanah,

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I noticed a minor spelling error, but that's it. I liked that you incorporated experiences from your personal life into your blog. I think that incorporating personal experiences can help others who may read it to understand your perspective better, and possibly relate better to their own experiences. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about how our attitudes affect the ways that we learn

Amanda S. said...

This blog is rich with personal experiences. Make sure to introduce each of your quotes.

Cynthia Hallen said...

You have shared personal experiences about learning that enrich this discourse. Could this be expanded to become a McKay essay?

BoM Baller said...

Great intro. Nice use of personal stories throughout. One suggestion to make this post amazing: use an active voice (present active instead of past tense).

Christie Beck said...

I really liked your post. I loved how you discussed the huge role that attitude plays in learning. We are blessed with opportunities to learn each day. It's up to us to take advantage of them.

Jamie said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the fact that attitude plays such a huge role in our learning experience. I enjoyed your comments on the topic!!

Valene said...

I really liked that you included how attitude makes all the difference in learning. I've really noticed this too. You're personal experiences really enrich you ideas. Good Job!

Kevinsa said...

There were some grammatical errors, but that did not take away from the overall experience of reading your post. very good.

D-Weezy said...

That is a really great song. I love teach me to walk in the light. It might actually be one of my favorites. I enjoyed your perspective on attitudes. Thanks for you thought and testimony.