Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jenni Perkins, Faith

What is faith? The scriptures tell us that “faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” [1]. If we have true faith, then we will act on this faith, like Nephi did. Nephi had faith and after praying, he received a witness. On the other hand, Laman and Lemuel witnessed miracles, they saw “an angel,” who spoke unto them, yet they lacked faith [2]. We need to have faith like Nephi’s because “without faith among men, God can do no miracle among them”[3]. Heavenly Father watches us and wants us to succeed, and will help us if we but have faith. He guided Lehi and his family through the wilderness with the liahona, however it only worked “according to the faith and diligence and heed which [they] did give unto them”[4]. We have our own liahona’s such as prayer, scriptures, General Conference, and The Ensign, but faith is necessary in order to use them as guides through mortality. Often times this faith is tested, but blessing will come if we withstand the trials.

We are taught, that we will “receive no witness until after trial of faith”[5]. In Luke, a woman with an issue of blood touched Jesus’ garments and was immediately healed. Jesus turned to her and said, “Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace”[6]. A similar experience occurred when I needed faith to be healed. I injured my foot, and doctors told me that I would not be able to walk correctly ever again, and that I would not be able to participate in sports. This was a devastating blow. As the doctor told me this, I started crying, but not because of my physical pain. Unsure of what to do, I asked my dad for a Father’s blessing. He said I would be healed and when school started again in the fall, I would be capable of participating in sports. This seemed impossible because of the torn tendons and ligaments and broken bone in foot. However, I had faith in this blessing and immediately acted on the promptings I was felt. Three months later, I was on the soccer team at my new school. I know that I was healed because of my faith. Without this trial, my faith, especially my faith in the power of the Priesthood, would not be as strong.

Sometimes it is tough to have faith while facing adversity, but “remember that faith and obedience are still the answers—even when things go wrong, perhaps especially when things go wrong” [7]. These times are often trials of our faith, and we must endure to the end in order to gain the reward. Jesus suffered and went through trials, and because of His atonement, He understands me. When I had to move to Utah my Junior year of high school, I torn. I knew I should not be angry or bitter and that I should trust in the Lord, but it was a hard decision. I chose to have faith in Him and as a result, He was able to comfort me in ways no one else could and my faith increased. Once again my faith was tested when I moved to Hong Kong for my Senior year of high school, but this time I had no doubts and my faith was unwavering. I have been blessed because of my trials and looking back, I would not trade those experiences. Because of these experiences, I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me, and if I exercise faith, He will direct my path.

Having faith, especially in this day, is essential. The adversary constantly threatens us and “as members of the Church, we are engaged in a mighty conflict. We are at war” [8]. Through the battle of life, we must vigilantly watch as the devil attempts to device us. Being one of the few LDS members in my high school, I did not have many friends with the same standards I had. I was stuck in the middle of this war. I had not yet fully committed myself to the Lord’s side, and as a result, Satan was trying had to get me to lower my standards. I knew I had to make a firm decision to follow Heavenly Father, because He has said, “they who are not for me are against me”[9]. Everyone one around me drinking and smoking and in Asia those are social norms. I made it clear to my friends that I abstained from alcohol, but that did not stop them from pressuring me to drinking. As I continued to abstain, unbeknownst to me, I gained the reputation as the ‘Mormon girl who didn’t drink,’ and my choice to serve the Lord was visible. The devil used many means to try to make me lower my principles, but I knew his plan and fought against him. I had “full determination to fight the good fight of faith and continue steadfast to the end”[10]. I continued to fight because I had faith, even though sometimes it seemed like I was fighting a losing battle and it would be easier and more fun if I just drank and joined in partying with my friends. However I stayed strong, and just before I moved, I was rewarded. I attended my friend’s birthday party and her older brother was passing out drinks and when he got to me, he started to hand a can of beer to me, and then said, “oh, you don’t drink,” and then handed me a bottle of water. I was surprised that he knew my standards and was willing to accept them. I won that day and will continue winning if I just have faith. It is not always easy, but I know through my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, I can be made strong.

I love President Hinckley’s statement, “We reach toward the unknown, but faith lights the way. If we will cultivate that faith, we shall never walk in darkness” [11], because it gives me hope. I know if I cultivate my faith, and endure to the end, I will be able to stand proudly and like Paul say, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith” [12].


[1] Hebrews 11:1
[2] 1 Nephi 17:45
[3] Ether 12: 12
[4] 1 Nephi 16:28
[5] Ether 12: 6
[6] Luke 8:48
[7] David E. Sorensen, “Faith Is the Answer,” Liahona, May 2005, 72–74
[8] Bruce R. McConkie, “Be Valiant in the Fight of Faith,” Ensign, Nov 1974, 33
[9] 2 Nephi 10:16
[10] “Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Life and Salvation,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith, 147
[11] Gordon B. Hinckley, “We Walk by Faith,” Liahona, Jul 2002, 80–82
[12] 2 Timothy 4:7

5 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

You have a perfect balance of personal experiences, insights, and scriptures in this essay. You can easily expand and polish this for a conference or for the McKay essay contest. The paragraph about the sports injury and priesthood blessing is especially effective.

Christie Beck said...

I loved this post! There were so many great quotes and scriptures that really showed the importance of having faith. I liked your inclusion of personal experiences because it showed that it is possible to remain strong despite difficult trials around us. Good work.

D-Weezy said...

I enjoyed the way you related faith towards your sport struggles. Your stories are a great example of faith.

R. Cameron Green said...

“remember that faith and obedience are still the answers—even when things go wrong, perhaps especially when things go wrong” -thank you for this statement, i had never heard it before and i found it particularly enlightening and helpful.

Hi'ilei Barrows said...

that's amazing that u were healed despite the professional opinion from the doctor. the priesthood is a blessing and i admire your diligence and faithfulness with being on the Lords side.