Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Faith

As Nephi and his family traveled through the wilderness, the Lord granted unto them the Liahona to be a guide unto them to the promised land. As we travel through life and our journey to obtain eternal life, we are also given direction. The scriptures, the words of the prophets and apostles, and, for each of us individually, our patriarchal blessings act as our guides through life which all contain great council. For Nephi and his family, the Liahona did not direct them to the promised land unconditionally. “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them”[1]. Similarly, the promises in our council is contingent upon us keeping the commandments through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

However, even when keeping the commandments, our lives do not come without trials. During Nephi’s journey, he and his family experienced hardships. One example can be seen in First Book of Nephi , “And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine steel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because to the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.”[2] In each of our own lives we can have many hardships too. Our goals may not pan out like we wanted them to. The way in which we think we are to go ends up falling through and we must choose a different course.

Nevertheless, even through hardship, Nephi did not give up. His faith did not solely consist of believing that he would find food. He had active faith. “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?”[3] As Nephi did, when we hit roadblocks in life we need to seek out different options, give them a try, and then ask the Lord for more help. If the Lord never let us try to work out things for ourselves we would never grow. President Monson stated, “We must actually make the effort. It’s in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals.”[4] I think this could also be stated that it is in the doing, not just the believing. After we have proved our active faith then the Lord helps us the rest of the way.


Another example of this is shown in one of Nephi’s experiences. “And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters.”[5] Like Nephi, we may have things that are asked of us that are hard to accomplish, or we may be prompted by the spirit to do something that seems hard. For me, one of these was taking a class. At the beginning of the semester I kept having a good feeling about taking a Chemistry class. I knew that it would be very difficult and time consuming, but as I prayed about it, the warm comforting feeling about the decision continued. So I followed that feeling, but is it over? No.


We must continue to the best of our abilities. Nephi replied to the Lord in his endeavor, “Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?”[6] Without hesitation, he was completely willing to work and do as the Lord instructed. Nephi could have believed with all his heart that a boat would be built, but nothing would have been done without engaging in the work. That is the way the Lord usually does things. We have to go out and do. “Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.”[7] It is the same concept for my situation. I could believe with all my heart that I will succeed, but if I do nothing about it, then I have nothing. I must work as hard as I can and then the Lord picks up the slack even if it is most of the way.


However, this is not the end of the process. Nephi continued in humility and sought guidance continually. “And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.”[8] I also try to pattern my endeavors like this. I try to pray before I start my homework each day for help and guidance. I also try to do the other thing in the verse. Nephi went to the mount oft. I try to go to the temple oft. It is a place separate from the world where one can be at peace. By following this pattern, my faith has grown just as the faith of anyone else who tries this will grow. I will end with a quote from Elder Wirthlin.

“Truly understood and properly practiced, faith is one of the grand and glorious powers of eternity. It is a force powerful beyond our comprehension. ‘Through faith … the worlds were framed by the word of God.’[9] Through faith, waters are parted, the sick healed, the wicked silenced, and salvation made possible.

Our faith is the foundation upon which all our spiritual lives rest. It should be the most important resource of our lives. Faith is not so much something we believe; faith is something we live.
Remember the words of the Savior: ‘If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.’[10] ‘He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do.’[11]” [12]

[1] 1 Nephi 16:28.
[2] 1 Nephi 16:18.
[3] 1 Nephi 16:23.
[4] Thomas S. Monson, “A Royal Priesthood,” Ensign, Nov 2007, 59–61.
[5] 1 Nephi 17:8.
[6] 1 Nephi 17:9.
[7] James 2:17-18.
[8] 1 Nephi 18:3.
[9] Hebrews 11:3.
[10] Mark 9:23.
[11] John 14:12.
[12] Joseph B. Wirthlin, “Shall He Find Faith on the Earth?,” Ensign, Nov 2002, 82.

8 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Your summary of the faith of the prophets and families in 1 Nephi is thorough, as evidenced by the scripture citations in the footnotes. My favorite part is when you tie it all together at the end when you discuss how faith works in your life. Could you incorporate the General Authority quotation more naturally into a paragraph or tie it to a point you are making?

Amanda S. said...

I like all of the examples from Nephi's life of moving forward with faith. It really is a principle of action.

BoM Baller said...

Very applicable! This guidance works for those with great faith as well as those who are struggling through incredible trials.

Christie Beck said...

I really enjoyed your post. I loved the quote from President Monson. We really do learn so much more when we are actively engaged in something rather than when we just talk about it. Faith is the same way.

Jamie said...

The points that you brought up in this essay are very important for all of us to remember and apply to our daily lives. Good job!

Valene said...

I like how you focused on how God doesn't just give us what we need, he makes us work for it. It all goes along with "faith without works is dead." Thanks for the reminder.

Kevinsa said...

Nephi is one of my favorite persons in the Book of Mormon. I really enjoyed reading your post.

D-Weezy said...

Great words. I enjoyed your scriptural references about our favorite hero Nephi. This talk is applicable to those struggling as well as those who aren't. Great job.